Chapter 25

Lark stumbled as Bastion pushed her into the room. She felt his strong hands on her shoulders, and he wrestled her to her knees. Then he dropped onto a knee beside her, bowing low.

"Caradoc," he said. Lark, though furious for being forced to bow to the man, couldn't help but be surprised that Bastion used no title of honor for his leader.

The Weald leader stood. He had been seated in the center throne of a semi-circle of ornate chairs, each one filled with men of varying ages except the one directly next to his, which was empty. The all watched as he walked down from the dais that the chairs were on, moving to stand in front of her and Bastion. She struggled to keep her gaze on the floor as Bastion has told her to.

"You're back sooner than I expected," he rumbled. She glanced up out of habit, then quickly dropped her eyes back down, worried that he might have seen. He was a tall, broad shouldered man, with short, dark hair and beard. He walked with a limp, and she could see the edges of scars at the neckline of his tunic. His nose was crooked, as though it had been broken several times. Though he was clad in mostly black, he wore a cloak of furs that reached nearly to the heels of his boots.

He raised his brows and she gasped as his hand shot out, gripping the front of her shirt, lifting her onto her toes.

"This is the princess I have heard so much about?" he laughed. "I was regaled of sickening stories of her beauty, of her poise and dignity."

He released her, laughing. "Bastion, you've brought me a chambermaid, not a princess."

Bastion bowed his head. "I assure you, Caradoc, this is Princess Lark."

"How did you capture her?"

"I saw her at a tavern in Greum. She was looking for someone, a pardoned exile. Me and my men followed her to Ruid. The man she found was Captain Rory of the Royal Guard. He killed six of our men and made it rather difficult to obtain her."

"He's dead then?"

"No. I believe he's valuable to us in more ways than one. However, he was seriously injured during the fight. I don't know if he'll live."

Lark desperately looked at the stone of the floor, trying to hold back her emotions.

"You've done well, Bas!" Caradoc said. "There will be food and drink aplenty tonight."

He stepped forward. "And you."

Terrified, Lark shut her eyes. Caradoc gripped her chin, lifting her face towards him.

"Tell me who you are."

Lark swallowed nervously, licking her lips.

"I am Princess Lark of Therinhall, wife of Aspen, Crown Prince of House Therinhall, formerly Lady Lark of Riverhold. I hail from Hidel though my family promised me to Esaria."

"And are you loyal to Esaria?"

She was sure he could hear her heart pounding against her ribs.

"I am loyal to those I love," she whispered. "And to whatever land treats me with respect."

Caradoc released her, thundering with laughter.

"Respect?" he said. "For a woman? Especially one like you?"

His loud sounds of mirth echoed though the otherwise silent room. He turned, addressing the others in the chamber.

"Tonight we celebrate Bastion!" he shouted. "And our coming victory over the Esarian devils!"

He turned back to Lark, grinning, and gave her a mocking bow.

"You're a guest in Selaith, of course," he said. "Bastion will show you to your quarters."

Bastion bowed, forcing her down with him. Then he gripped her arm, pulling her out of the large room.

"You did well in there," he said as the door closed, releasing her. "He was in a good mood today."

She turned on him. "I want to see Rory!"

He shook his head. "While Caradoc's words might not have seemed like an order to you, I can assure you that they were. I'm taking you to your cell."

She took a small step back.

"My cell?"

Bastion sighed. "I'm not going to pretend that it's something it's not."

He took her by the shoulder, leading her up a large flight of stone steps and along several corridors. Then a narrow spiral staircase and another passage. At the end of the wide hall was a door. Four guards stood beside it. Bastion nodded to them and the door was opened.

"Go on," he said, pushing her gently. Tears slipping down her face, she walked into her prison. Bastion followed her, closing the door behind him. Lark stopped a few steps into the room. The chamber was bright and open, with a hearth, many windows, and a large bed. It was well furnished and well kept.

Bastion leaned back against the wood of the door.

"I'm sorry, Princess," he said. "I truly am. I wish you could understand how valuable you are to us."

She looked up at him fearfully. They were far from anyone who would care if anything happened to her, from anyone who would care if she screamed. Her heart began to sprint within her chest as she realized that she was alone with him for the first time.

"What are you going to do to me?" she whispered. Bastion reached out and she stumbled back. His light brown eyes were piercing.

"Princess," he said, dropping his hand back to his side. "I want you to know that you have nothing to fear from me. I will do everything in my power to see that you're treated fairly here."

"What Caradoc said about women..." she began, but stopped as she saw the muscles in his shoulders and jaw tighten.

"That is one of Caradoc's personal beliefs," he said. "Not one shared by very many in Selaith."

He let out a short breath. She sat gingerly on the edge of the bed, letting her hands fall into her lap.

"Am I to die here, Bastion?" she asked softly.

He gazed at her, then turned away, opening the door.

"Goodnight, Princess."

Lark covered her mouth, not wanting him to hear her cry.