Chapter 23

The princess's scream rang out.

"Wait!" she cried, lunging forward Arodal caught her. Bastion swore and twisted, burying the tip of his sword in the dirt. Rory flinched.

"What?" Bastion growled, his pulse pounding in his ears.

"I lied to you!" Princess Lark gasped. Bastion slammed his blade back into its sheath as Arodal pressed his dirk to her throat.

"Speak," Bastion ordered.

"He's not my guard," she breathed, motionless in Arodal's hands.

"Who is he?"

The Esarian princess swallowed nervously, looking down at the knife. Bastion gave a scathing look to Arodal, who flicked the dirk away. Lark let out a breath.

"He's the Captain of the Guard," she said. "He's worth his weight in gold to the Crown."

Bastion stared at her, daring her to falter. It was a lie, it had to be. He had received no word from his spies about a change of positions.

"He was promoted just before he was falsely convicted of treason because of your men," she said. "The king was set to pardon him, to release him from exile and reinstate him. We were on our way back to the court when you took us hostage."

Arodal tightened his grip on the dirk. "She's lying. Why would they send the princess into the Wilds for a criminal?"

"It was a show of good faith," Princess Lark answered quickly. "He knew me well, was one of my guards before he was made Captain. He trusted me more then those who convicted him."

Bastion was the one to falter, recalling something mentioned in one of the reports he had received. Twisting back to Rory, he stepped forwards.

"Your arm," he growled. When Rory's brow furrowed, he reached out, grabbing the younger man by the shoulder and tearing open the fabric of his shirt, baring the skin of his upper arm.

Two black triangles stood out there.

Bastion cursed under his breath. A murmur went through the watching soldiers as they saw the Weald mark.

"She's telling the truth," Bastion said.

"Why does he wear our mark?" demanded Arodal.

"Caradoc ordered it put there." Bastion recalled the details of the report. "With him gone, it would have been easier to get to the princess, had we needed to. The mark is what got him exiled."

"Filth like him doesn't deserve to have the Kaeir."

"This man shared as much blood with the ancients as you do, as all of you," Bastion said, first addressing Arodal, and then the watching soldiers around him. "He has a right to the mark, even if he doesn't bear it willingly."

"Bastion."

He looked down in surprise as Rory spoke. The younger man's jaw was set, sweat gathering at his hairline.

"If you're not going to kill me," he said, his voice tight with pain. "Then at least let me stand."

He gripped Rory's arm, hauling him to his feet. Bastion could feel how much support the Esarian needed to rise, and he was suddenly thankful. He'd had no desire to kill him, let alone kill a man who had no ability to fight for his life. Already his mind was turned with what would need to be done to keep Rory alive on the nearly week-long journey. There were faster ways through the trees, but none that were possible with a company of soldiers, a princess, and a dying man.

"Unload the supply wagon," he ordered. "Pack what you can onto the horses. I'll carry whatever is left if I have to."

Arodal pushed the process forward, making her stumble towards Rory.

Captain Rory.

Bastion stalked away as Princess Lark took the young man's weight. He caught Arodal by the arm, making him walk at his side. There was anger across the warrior's face.

"Why did you spare him?" Arodal growled. "He means nothing to us."

"You are my last well-trained soldier," he replied in a hushed tone. "He can help us, help our forces. There is no chance of winning this war without his skill. We need him."

"Why would he help us after this?"

"Because he won't have a choice."

Arodal laughed darkly, shaking his head. "Bas, you assume that he'll survive, but just because you didn't kill him doesn't mean that he's been spared. Men have died from lesser wounds."

"Not him," Bastionrd said, watching Arodal walk away to carry out his orders.