Chapter 65

Janine'sPOV
Rose and Dimitri called me over to their place. I couldn't guess why, but after only two months of dating I doubted it was the engagement announcement I saw coming sometime. The time just was not right now. Rose wasn't the type of girl to get married so young, that much I had learned since graduation. Besides, she'd strictly instructed that Abe not be brought along.

"Hi Mom," Rose greeted when she let me in the door. "Comrade! Is that stuff ready yet? Come in." Rose stepped back and gestured me into her Palace apartment.
"Hey Rose. What's up?"
"Yes baby, it's all ready."
I was ready to puke at the term of endearment. Meanwhile, Rose was trying not to blush.
"Come on, Mom. We have some serious surprises for you."

She led me through to the lounge room and gestured for me to sit on one of the white leather lounges. A glass-and-oak coffee table separated the three-seater I was gestured to while they took the love-seat.

Rose and Dimitri clasped hands and smiled before sitting. She took a cracker and some cheese and a glass of water sat on the table in front of her. She took a sip.

"Guardian Hathaway, welcome."
"Belikov," I nodded. "I hope you've been taking care of Rose."
"Mom!" complained Rose, "I'm a big girl now, I can take care of myself."
Belikov's right hand flew to Rose's right knee and rubbed it comfortingly. "Don't worry, Guardian Hathaway. I've been looking after my Princess."
"Comrade!" Rose whined playfully and snuggled into her boyfriend's side.

I had another cracker and some more spinach dip. "Why did you keep Abe out of this meeting, Rose?"
Rose and Dimitri's eyes locked on each other's before meeting mine. "A couple of reasons, Mom..."
"Mmm?" I nodded and encouraged her to continue explaining.
"Well... I don't really know where to start this... one reason is because Tatiana's been training me up for a new Council position- dhampir Princess. But in the meantime she's had me advising her about what to do about the unrest between Moroi and dhampir, about the declining guardian numbers and rising Strigoi numbers."
"Why you?"
Rose scowled.

I guess my tone had been more doubtful and condescending than I realised.

"Do we have to tell her?" she asked.
Dimitri sent her an understanding and encouraging look. "Yes, Roza."
"But Lissa doesn't even know yet!"
"What don't I know?" I did not enjoy the suspicious feeling I was getting.
Rose clutched onto Dimitri as if he were her lifeboat. This cannot be good. This so cannot be good. "Please don't hurt Dimitri, Mom, please! And please hear us out? Let us explain."
"Relax, Roza."

Can I hurl at the lovesickness being displayed in front of me right now?

"Rose, it can't be that bad."
Rose tried to quirk a brow at Dimitri. "Depends on your definition of 'bad', Mom. Wouldn't you say, Comrade?"
"And it's the complete opposite of bad, in my opinion, love."
Rose smiled sweetly up at him before pecking his lips. "In that case, babe," Dimitri's brow quirked at that but he smiled nonetheless, "I think I must agree with you and say it's actually quite excellent."
"We're talking about that 'babe' later, baby girl."
Rose groaned and collapsed into his chest. "Then we're also talking about the 'baby girl'."

Was this what they were always like when alone together? Especially in this apartment they'd made a home of?

"Does the world not exist?" I asked while dipping another cracker into the spinach dip.
"Of course. Mom... it's just been a little while since even Lissa's been here..."
"You're skirting the issue, Rose."
Her eyes shifted to Dimitri's one last time before looking meeting mine, dead-in as they say. "I'm carrying Dimitri's baby."
Time stopped.