Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

~Tamara Rose

I fidgeted nervously, wringing my hands in my lap. Josh and I were seated on the porch steps.

"I can't believe he's doing this," I muttered quietly under my breath, watching Mark walk across the lawn with Dylan, the two of them deep in conversation. Their heads were bent together, their expression serious, and their voices low. They'd been this way ever since Dylan's pack had arrived.

Josh rubbed my shoulder comfortingly. "He doesn't have a choice, Rosie. Cassie means more to him than any of us. He can't risk her safety. Not after what happened to Lizzie."

"I know, I'm not mad at him," I sighed, frustrated. "I just...God, I just don't want to see Dylan."

Josh was silent for a moment. "You know...maybe this is a good thing."

I frowned, turning to look at him. "How could any of this possibly be a good thing?"

He smiled half-heartedly. "It might not seem like it right now, but maybe this is a chance for Dylan to show his true colors by helping us. To show you he's not really a bad guy--just someone who's made a lot of mistakes."

I raised an eyebrow. "He rejected and banished me, as well as lied to me for a good month or so."

"He rejected you back when he was young and stupid, and he only lied to you because he wanted to give you a chance to start over with him," Josh corrected.

I was definitely stunned. "Where did all this tolerance come from?"

His grin widened. "I think Mark, Eric, and Jordan always hated him a lot more than I did, to be completely honest. Mark is just naturally protective of you as an Alpha. Eric and Jordan just wanted to protect you because they saw you as a sister. We all kind of knew that we hated him more because he was your mate, not really because he was a horrible person."

I sighed, raking a hand through my hair. My gaze traveled across the lawn once more, past all the wolves working out until it landed on Dylan. Quietly, I said, "You know, I always thought Dylan really did have a good heart deep down. He just makes so many mistakes that it's hard to remember sometimes."

Josh smiled. "That's the attitude I want you to have. Lizzie would be proud."

I laughed. "Lizzie would kick you where the sun don't shine if she ever heard you utter the words 'Accept Dylan.'"

He chuckled. "True."

"Speaking of Lizzie, where's Cassie?" I questioned. "I haven't seen her in a while."

"Jordan's been her nanny since yesterday," Josh laughed. "Mark has her on complete lockdown. She's not allowed to leave her room, and there are seven other guards posted there at all times. She's loving all the attention."

I laughed. "I bet she is."

"Tamara Rose."

I looked up to see Dylan standing before me, hands in his pockets.

Josh stood up immediately and coughed into his hand. "You know, I just remembered I have that...that thing. With that person. At the...the place. Yeah, I'm just gonna go." With that, he not-at-all subtly winked at me and strolled away.

I stood up as well, brushing the seat of my pants. An awkward smile graced my lips.

Dylan smiled back. "It's nice to see you."

I glanced down at my hands, rubbing them together uncomfortably. "Thanks. You too." I paused. "Although, I wish it could have been under different circumstances."