Rediscovery

5 years later.

Piyali was jolted out of her bored reverie on hearing her sing. That was Mukundo's favourite way to use vivadi swar in his compositions. The school was organizing a charity show. Their music teacher had left before the term started and so for the time being Piyali was filling up for her and auditioning students.

"What's your name?" she asked the girl hoping that the familiarity of her face was just something her mind had made up.

"Sumedha Thakur."

Piyali forgot to breathe for a moment. What was she doing here? Why would Mukundo Babu send his daughter to a hostel and not train her with him?

"You are well-trained in classical music," she tried to sound casual.

"Thank you, Miss," she replied. From their practice sessions, which she sometimes joined, Piyali remembered her as a vivacious child. Why was she so sad and sombre? Growing up? Homesickness?

"You have joined in this term?"

"Yes Miss."

"Which class?"

"Standard eleventh."

"That's a tough one. So much to study. But I would really like you to perform a solo classical piece. You will need to practice a lot..."

"That won't be a problem, Miss."

Piyali smiled. Her father's daughter! But what on earth was she doing here?

--

"Music doesn't leave you, does it?" Debangi complained when Piyali returned to her house in teachers' quarters. The house was a perk that came with the job. Debangi's complain wasn't like earlier. Now that Piyali had a stable job, which supported them fairly well, she wasn't as insecure about music ruining their lives as she used to be. Piyali doubling up as the music teacher had made her days hectic; that was what motivated her complains.

Piyali smiled at her, "It is a Godsend, Ma. With the extra money, I can buy Priyendra's laptop without digging into savings. Let's pray that they don't find a music teacher for the entire term." Priyendra was now in Pune, pursuing his engineering degree.

"Hmm... And what about you? Do you plan to spend your entire life slaving for us?"

"What are you talking about? Who will I work for, if not you?"

"For yourself. Your own family."

"Do I have a secret 'own' family tucked away somewhere?"

"You know what I mean. If your Baba had not left me so helpless and destitute, you would have been married long back, and I would be playing with a grandchild or two by now."

"Ma. You can never stop worrying, can you? Until I had this job, you were worried about money. Until Priyendra had gotten admission, you were worried about his future. And now, grand children? Can't we just be happy for a while? Life is good, isn't it?"

"And we need to ensure that it remains good. You would need a husband, a support, family..."

"We will see when I feel the need for one."

"It might be too late..."

"Then I would have learned to live on my own. Ma. Once and for all, I am not planning to get married. So you can cut short on your phone calls. I know what all of those have been for. But please. No. And even if you feel it is your responsibility to pester me, do not do it until Priyendra has finished his studies and gotten a job. I am not leaving you to your sewing and mending again."

--

She was sitting on the stair near the now empty labs, her head resting against the railings. Her vacant eyes were fixed at something far away.

"Hello!"

She was startled and stood up abruptly. "Miss! Good morning, Miss."

"What are you doing here?"

"I.. I was just going to the class."

"Fourth period has started. Almost half-way through now. You have already bunked a class."

She gulped. "I... I am sorry, Miss. I just didn't..."

"Relax. Let's sit down."

She looked at Piyali incredulously.

"I am not encouraging you to bunk classes," Piyali clarified. Damn the duties of a teacher! "But you have already bunked one. So, let's sit down. I wanted to talk to you."

Piyali sat down and Sumedha followed the suit.

"How is Mukundo Babu doing?" Piyali had checked her records and was now certain of who she was.

Sumedha was startled. "You know Baba?"

"I had known him. Some years ago. How is he?"

"He is... okay."

"Did he come to drop you here?"

She shook her head, "Thakuma did."

"And your Ma?"

Her face turned ashen at the question. Then she shook her head slowly.

"You miss home, don't you?"

She nodded and her eyes brimmed over.

"Sumedha. What is it?"

She stayed silent.

"Tell me, darling. It's all right," five years of teaching and dealing with young students had cultivated those mature, motherly manners in Piyali. Mukundo would have been surprised to see her like this.

"Nothing."

"You would have been assigned a counsellor, right?" The school did that for all students.

"Yes."

"Think of me as one too. Anything you tell me is strictly confidential."

"How do you know Baba? Does he know you?"

Piyali smiled, "You know me too. You probably don't remember. You were young. Your Baba and I used to practice. Early in the morning. At five. You were also there very often."

Sumedha looked at her intently. "I remember... vaguely. Baba used to say you were very hard-working."

"Like you. And I'm sure your Baba won't mind if you shared your problems with me."

She nodded. But before she could say anything, the bell rang.

"Next period. Don't bunk this one. But will you meet me here, when the classes are over?"

"Yes Miss."

"Good then. See you. Take care."