The Hearts Heal

Sumedha's performance was over and she was sitting with her father in the audience. Piyali walked on the stage. She sought out her mother first. She almost looked happy today to see her on the stage. If her father had only been a little practical about life's necessities, Debangi might not have hated music after all. Then she sought Mukundo out. His eyes were glued to her. She started the performance after silently seeking blessings from Goddess Saraswati, her father, her teacher Gayatri Devi, who was no longer alive, and him. There was a loud applause when her song ended. She sought him out again and saw him whispering something to his daughter. Then they got up from their seats. Her heart fluttered like it used to in the initial days of meeting him. She lingered around on the stage and surely! There he was. Walking on to the stage. She picked up the mike and made an announcement.

"Ladies and Gentleman. What I am going to announce now should result in voluntary doubling of revenue from this event." It drew a chuckle from the audience and she continued after they were silent again, "The music lovers amongst you, even if you can't recognize his face right now, would not fail to recognize his name. Today you are going to see the performance of Mukundo Thakur." Piyali could feel the excited murmur of recognition from the audience. And then they broke into a louder applause than ever earlier during the programme. The other organizers were looking at each other in surprise.

She offered him the mike in case he wanted to say something. But he refused and took his seat on the stage. "You must stay," he told her and she nodded. Putting the announcement mike back in its place, she sat down beside him and the performance started.

--

"Baba!" Sumedha ran excitedly to him and hugged him, "You are performing again?"

"Yes," he ran his hand over her hair and replied with a smile.

"Will Ma come back, then? Can we go home?"

Mukundo blanched visibly.

"You can't just leave school in the middle of the term, can you Sumedha?" Piyali tried to steer them away from awkwardness.

Sumedha was old enough to know that she had reacted hastily. She changed the topic, "You are taking me out for dinner, aren't you Baba? I am tired of the mess food."

"Of course Shona. We can go right away," his eyes met Piyali's, with a silent apology for not spending the time with her. She blinked in assurance.

"You must also come, Miss," Sumedha made his apology unnecessary.

"Oh no! It's your father-daughter time," Piyali refused graciously.

"Please come. Without you..."

"Please," Mukundo also added and that put an end to her objections.

--

"Sumedha. Come in. What brings you here early in the morning? I thought you would be with your Baba."

"I just came to say... Thank you."

"What for?"

"For making him perform. Now that everyone knows about Baba, I am suddenly a celebrity in the school," she had the same amused smile as her father.

Piyali chuckled, "What did I do? You brought him here."

"Yes. But you made him perform. It changes so many things..."

"Sumedha. About your mother..."

"I know. It was stupid of me, wasn't it? She isn't coming back. They are divorced."

"You miss her, don't you?"

"I don't know. I just miss having a... family."

Piyali felt a tightness in her chest. "Come here," she gave her a tight hug. "Don't worry. Things will be all right."

"Miss. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Do you think it was Baba's fault that this... happened? This breaking down..."

"I don't want to judge your mother, Sumedha. But I know that your father is a gem of a person. Even if it were his fault, in your place, I will forgive him."

She smiled and nodded. "I will see you later, Miss. I am having breakfast with him."

"Sure. Run along. And don't bunk your classes."

"I won't. Bye Miss."