Boundaries

The next morning, I was woken unexpectedly when the Commander burst in and began pacing the length of my tent, words already spilling from her mouth before I even had time to register what was happening.

After being pulled out of my peaceful sleep, needless to say I was feeling slightly out of it and could hardly understand a word that she was saying. I cracked my eyes open and glanced at her in a sleepy haze before letting my head fall back on the pillow with a sigh, attempting to tune into what she was saying.

It was only then that the flow of words came to a stop and I realized that this was where I was supposed to reply. I wracked my brain to pick up on a single thing that she had just been going on about but I came up blank and had very few options left on how to respond.

'What?' I asked after a second, my voice rough from sleep and far lower in tone than usual. Lexa's pacing faltered and she glanced over momentarily as if seeing me for the first time, taking in my barely functional state.

'You should be thankful I am not an enemy Clarke, it would be unwise for you to allow one to catch you unaware' she advised coolly and though she had a point, we both knew that if it had been an enemy than I would be far from defenseless. My gun would've been aimed in an instant and my sword was within reach if needed.

'As I was saying...' she continued, looking away from me to resume her pacing, 'your mother asked me to go to dinner.'

'What?' I mumbled in confusion, not sure if I had misheard or if this was all a dream. Lexa sighed and shot me an exasperated look, not impressed with my inability to form a coherent sentence. Well what did she expect, it was way to early to be having this conversation.

'Your mother just approached me and asked if we would like to join her at camp Jaha for a meal after searching the mountain tomorrow' she explained in more detail, speaking more slowly for my benefit.

'And what did you say?' I replied, trying to focus on what she was saying.

'I was about to decline when Indra mentioned something to me about Skaikru traditions and that I should accept' she told me with a slight frown. I remained silent for a few moments as I tried to sort through my jumbled thoughts.

'So what are you doing in here' I mumbled, still unsure what this had to do with me. Lexa huffed in irritation at my lack of comprehension, not seemingly aware of just how early it was.

'You know more than me about what this means, would it be an insult to turn this offer down?' she asked, not wanting to cause offense without meaning to.

'So you haven't given her a reply yet?' I asked, wanting to get a picture of exactly what had happened before I gave any advice.

'I just said that didn't I?' She answered impatiently, growing more agitated with every passing second. 'I came straight here without a word.'

'So my mom asked you back to camp Jaha for a meal, Indra said something in Trigedasleng and then you turn and leave her standing in the middle of camp without a clue what's going on?' I clarified, not able to stop the laugh that escaped my lips.

Lexa looked over at me questioningly, not understanding what was so funny. 'Is there something amusing Clarke?'

'No nothing at all' I said with a smile, propping myself up onto my elbows to see her better. I could just imagine my mom's confusion right now, she probably thought that she had caused offence when Lexa had walked away.

'Besides, I don't have time for pointless visits to her camp just for a meal, I have far more important things to do' she huffed, abandoning her pacing to stand at the foot of my bed, arms crossed over her chest.