Agreement

We were all eager to return to TonDc, but first it had to be decided who would be making the trip. Only four of the horses had been unpacked with supplies so they were the only ones that could be ridden.

After a quick discussion it was decided that Abby, Kane and Bellamy would be travelling back with us, each having to ride with a Grounder as they had little experience on horse back. We planned to travel as quickly as possible and that meant keeping up a fast pace which the Grounders were fully capable of.

Abby left the rest of the council overseeing matters at camp, and Lexa assigned the remaining three Grounders to walk the other horses back to TonDc the next morning.

With everything arranged, Lexa paired up Abby, Bellamy and Kane each with a Grounder to ride with. They were pulled up onto the horses and allowed a moment to adjust to the animal.

As Lexa strode over from where she had been giving the Grounders that were staying behind their orders, one of her warriors from atop a horse called down to her.

'Heda, there is only one remaining horse. Should we unpack another for the Skaikru leader?'

Lexa considered his words for a brief moment before shaking her head.

'No, that will not be necessary. Clarke will ride with me' she replied, leaping up onto her horse before looking back at me and reaching out a hand.

I hesitated a moment as I felt all eyes turn to me, waiting to see what my next move would be. Disregarding their collective gaze, I reached up and accepted the offered hand.

Lexa swiftly pulled me up onto the horse to sit in front of her with such speed and strength that it left me breathless for a moment, as did the sudden proximity that I found myself in with the Commander.

She reached around me with one arm to grip the reins firmly, turning her head to address the others.

'We ride for TonDc, maintain a fast pace and we may not need to stop for breaks' she called to her warriors who nodded their understanding.

I was vaguely aware of her words, but I was far more focused on how her gloved hand was placed on my waist. Her touch firm yet gentle as our group moved out of camp, filing in a single line through the gate.

Taking a deep breath to calm my racing pulse, I took great care in keeping my body leant forwards just enough so that there was the smallest amount of space between us. It was hardly the comfiest position, but unable to stop thinking about the hand at my waist I hardly thought that the extra contact would be any better.

Our horse was at the front of the group, the others close behind as the gate clanged to a shut at our departure. Lexa shifted slightly at my back and readjusted her grip on the reins.

'Clarke' she said softly, as if testing the way my name sounded on her lips, and I was tempted to stay quiet so that she would say my name once more.

'Mhmmm' I responded after a moment, not trusting my voice to betray the feelings thay were fluttering inside me.

'Relax' she insisted, unable to miss my tense posture. 'We may only be travelling at a walk now, but we will soon be at a canter and it makes it difficult for both of us to do that if you are so rigid.'

Her breath whispered over my neck as she spoke and I suppressed a shiver at the sensation. I knew that she was right, it would make it harder for her to guide the reins and I would struggle to find my balance. Never the less, I was still reluctant to do as she suggested.

A few more seconds passed until I finally relented and, muscle by muscle, slowly began to release my rigid posture. It was a relief to finally be sitting comfortably and a small part of me enjoyed the contact that was required on this journey, an excuse like this rarely came along and I was already more optimistic about the return journey to TonDc.