02 Scout

02: Scout

"Scout? Scout, honey, are you going to get out of bed ... today?" Lucy looked at the lump in the bed, it seemed like it had been there for days. "Honey, please, you need to get up and get out of the house. Do you want to come up to campus with me? You can hang out and your dad and I can meet you for lunch."

Lucy heard a muffled and not too convincing response. "Not today mom. I'll get up soon, promise."

Lucy crossed the room and sat on the edge of the bed. She gently pulled back the covers and looked down on her daughter. She looked frail, it looked wrong on her. She had been home for almost 2 weeks now and Lucy was beginning to become seriously concerned with her behavior.

"Honey, please. Tell me what's going on so I can help you. What happened in Maine? I know you've said that you and Marc are over but can't you ... please talk to me ... about it? Or someone? Anyone?" Lucy's voice was thick with concern.

"Mom, I'm just not ready. I just want to lie here. I'm tired."

Scout looked up at her mom and tears threatened again. Her strawberry-blonde hair looked dull, her soft blue eyes were tired and washed out. All the color was gone from her face and Lucy was heartbroken because her daughter was in pain and she couldn't help.

"Scout, I love you, but if something doesn't change soon your father and I are going to take you somewhere to get help."

"No mom! I'll be fine!"

"That is not evident dear. I'm sending in the 'big guns' in 15 minutes."

Lucy knew that Scout would have a tough time denying her father. They had always shared a bond that Lucy loved but was a little jealous of at the same time. She got up and walked out to the sound of Scout moaning in protest.
----

William Abbott knocked softly on the door before he walked in. Scout sat up and watched him cross to the bed. He stood 6' with a medium build but at 58 he was not as fit as he had been in his youth. A literature professor at UNC he spent most of his time in a sedentary life, behind a desk or reading. His hair was a shaggy greying blonde and he constantly had reading glasses lost in the thick loose curls. Scout could see her eyes and freckles in her father's face.

William wanted to give her space over the past week, she was a young woman and he knew that there would be things in this world that she would have to navigate on her own. Looking at her now he wondered if they had failed her in some way.

She had lived a sheltered and protected life as the daughter of two university professors. She and her brother never really wanted for anything. Scout always had a passion for "saving the world" but sometimes she didn't see the world in her backyard that needed saving.

Her life was relatively idyllic. She grew up in a university setting, she attended a small liberal arts college in Maine, and shortly after graduation she left for her work with WWOOF, a volunteer position on an organic farm in Maine. She and her boyfriend Marc were lucky to get one of the few positions available.

In return for volunteer help, WWOOF hosts offer food, accommodation and opportunities to learn about organic lifestyles. Even this first step out into the world seemed privileged. It was an opportunity that she could afford to participate in, not many are so lucky.

William said nothing. He simply sat down beside his daughter and drew her into a deep hug that blanketed her in compassion and warmth. He felt her body shake with sobs and his own eyes filled with hot tears.

"Did he hurt you Scout?" Her body seized with a tremor of pain she could barely muster the energy and focus to nod much less speak. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Scout focused, doing her best to calm herself. Her voice was weak but sincere. "No Daddy. I just need time. I'll be okay, I'm sorry. You don't have to worry, really."

"I love you sweetie, but your mom and I are really worried. You haven't been out of the house since you came home last week. You haven't said more than a handful of words to us or to Walt. He's worried too, you know. We can get you help, Scout."

"No Dad, please. I'll catch up with Walt soon, I promise. I'll get out of the house today. Okay?"

William smiled into his daughter's hair. "Are you coming up to campus with us?"

"Um. I'm not sure I'm up for that yet. Maybe I'll just go for a walk?"

"Okay, then you can run an errand for me." Scout pulled away and raised an eyebrow, even with puffy, bloodshot eyes William thought his daughter's eyes beautiful.

"Your mom and I have a stack of books to donate to 'The Exchange,' can you take them by this morning?"

Scout sighed in resignation,"Yeah, I can do that. It's the book place downtown?"

"Yes, it's right on main, you can't miss it. It's a coffee shop too so you can get a caffeine bump to help you through your day." William smiled at his little girl, chuckling softly, "Scout, please shower first."

A small smirk flashed across Scout's face, "Okay dad. Nice."

William and Lucy left together for campus. They had a short drive, just enough time to reflect on their daughter's state of mind. It was clear that something had happened between her and Marc but they were now concerned that this was no ordinary break up.

Scout met Marc in her senior year at Boudain and they seemed to share a passion for the sustainability movement, small farming and local sourcing systems, and all things "granola." It wasn't hard for Marc to convince Scout to join him for a year working for WWOOF. Scout's parents were surprised by the intensity of the relationship. They suspected she would have followed him anywhere.

"Luce, I don't think she wants to talk to us about this. I don't know what's going on, but I know he hurt her. Deeply."

Lucy cried silently,"Honey, she's not the same. She left so full of life, so optimistic, so much fun. There hasn't been a glimmer of that in the last 10 days and who knows how long she's been like this. We need to make her get some help."

William sighed, he knew they couldn't let this continue. "Okay honey, let's give her a little more time. Please. I'll talk to her. I don't want to lose her trust on top of everything else. She said she would see Walt soon, maybe that will help too."

By the time the Abbotts reached Greenlaw building their focus shifted to preparation for the upcoming Fall semester's courses. William quickly sent out a text.

"please text once you drop off books"
"i love you"

He wanted to give Scout a little extra push.

----

A/N: One of my very best friends spent a summer volunteering on a blueberry farm in Maine. She shines through in many ways in "Scout."