05 School Boy

05: School Boy

Scout pushed through the week determined to pass as acceptable to her parents. She made herself get out of bed by 9:00am. She made herself eat 3 times a day even though it was still tasteless. She started researching possible graduate school options and looked through UNC's online course catalog for possible fall semester options. She could tell her body was beginning to respond to the steady diet of nutrients, but emotionally she still felt hollow.

She couldn't even summarize the movie she and Walt went to see after dinner. Scout remembered sitting through it, she remembered the audience laughing and crying. Was it a comedy with a serious, poignant message or a drama with strategic moments of humor to ease the story? She had no clue. Walt just starred for most of the movie.

She wondered how long this would last. Somewhere, deep within her she wondered how long the depression would last. She wasn't sure she cared as long as she could fake it long enough to keep her parents from hospitalizing her.

Saturday morning Scout woke up to her father sitting on her bed. "Come on sweetie. We're going to have coffee and then walk through the farmer's market."

Scout groaned. "Dad, what time is it? It's the weekend."

"It's almost 8:30. Come on, we have hardly seen you this week and your mother and I want to hear how the grad school research is coming along. We're leaving in 30 minutes, get a shower!"

William paused at the door on the way out, "Scout?"

"Yeah Dad ... I'm getting up, promise!"

"I love you sweetheart."

"Me too Dad, I'm up now." William grinned in victory.

It was going to be hot. Scout walked along with her parents toward The Exchange. Her mom was giving her the latest updates on the changes to Carrboro, the growing population, and the small town gossip. The townies really wanted to keep Carrboro autonomous from the growing student population at UNC but there were developers who saw an opportunity to build more student housing just a short bus ride away from campus. Scout nodded and occasionally responded to Lucy's explanations with a short acknowledgement. She looked at her father and thought she could see him smiling and laughing quietly knowing that Scout was almost completely disengaged.

As they got closer to The Exchange Scout's heart rate picked up a little. The shot of nervousness and emotion felt peculiar and alien. She was concerned that Kai would remember their interaction, know her parents, and stare at her with those intense, judging eyes. As her Dad pulled open the door the A/C felt great, but did nothing to subdue Scout's nervousness.

Scout and her mom sat down at a table along the wall, Scout was facing the large front window and her mother watched her daughter's eyes scan the coffee shop and gaze out the window.

"Scout, honey? Are you okay? You seem anxious."

Scout smiled weakly, "I'm fine mom, just need some coffee." She looked up at her father standing at the counter ordering three coffees and a couple of pastries to share.

"Hi Dr. Abbott!" Paul smiled as if he was seeing an old friend. "Hey Paul, please, it's Will and Lucy." He nodded looking over his shoulder, "We brought our daughter Scout with us this morning."

Paul followed William's gaze, "Oh yes! She brought us some books earlier this week. I should have known they were from you, but she snuck away before we could offer her a cup of coffee." Paul grinned at Scout and she nodded, waving quickly.

"Ok Will, I'll bring that out to you, just give me a couple of minutes."

"No problem, thank you." William stretched his neck just a little trying to catch a glimpse of the back room.