04 I Would Never

04: I Would Never

"Jesus Scout, please tell me you're going to eat two or three meals." Walt looked across at his older sister and he was unsettled by what he saw. "You have got to take better care of yourself or mom and dad are going to have you committed." Walt wasn't serious but the words were so deadpan it sounded that way.

"Okay, okay! Heard! I got the mom and the dad talk this morning. They even made me run an errand. I don't need you hounding me too. Shit, that reminds me!" Scout pulled out her phone and sent a quick text.

"books delivered"
"at lunch with the poet"

Scout looked back up at Walter. He looked like their mom. Soft red hair, angular and symmetrical face. But he, like Scout, had their dad's eyes and freckles. Scout thought he was cute in a super nerdy kind of way, but she was biased.

"It's not that I'm trying to hurt myself Walt." Scout's eyes drifted from her brother's. "I'm just not hungry and when I eat it tastes like ... nothing."

The waitress stopped by and Scout and Walter ordered eggs, french toast, bacon, potatoes, and coffee. "You'll feel better as soon as you eat." Walter smiled, he was convinced he was right, but Scout doubted it.

Walter studied Scout closely for a moment,"I'm sorry. You know I'll help you anyway I can. But you have to tell me how because I'm not good at the whole Emotional Intelligence thing." He grinned, "Mom and Dad are thrilled."

Scout couldn't help but let a small smile flash across her face. Walter was named for Walt Whitman. When he showed no interest in literature, philosophy, or the "soft" disciplines his parents were a little disappointed.

But, Walt excelled in Information Systems & Technology. He found his own form of poetry in the coding and he was really good at what he did. Unfortunately, that results from thousands of hours sitting behind a computer and less time actually talking to people and developing social skills.

Scout and Walt spent a few minutes catching up on his plan for school, upcoming classes, and his lack of love life. Walter noticed that Scout followed up every question with another about him, not allowing any room for him to ask her about the last year.

When the waitress brought the food it finally allowed for a break in the interrogation. Once the waitress walked away Walter spoke softly, "Scout, you don't have to keep asking me rapid fire questions. We won't talk about anything you don't want to talk about. I won't ask questions."

Scout looked chagrined and relieved. "Thank you." She began to pick at her food and thought to herself, "nope, still tastes like nothing."

"So, what was this errand Mom and Dad had you run?"

"Oh, I had to take some books down to a coffee shop for them. No big deal, but I forgot about the heat and humidity here. I nearly melted."

"You grew up here Scout, 5 years and now you're a 'Northerner?' I assume you're talking about The Exchange. Mom and Dad love that place. They go there almost every weekend. I'm pretty sure they're responsible for half the books on their shelves."

Scout grimaced, "Well, I hope they're not friends with the manager 'cause I think pissed her off today."

"Her? The manager?" Walt looked confused for a moment. "Oh! You mean, the owner."

Scout hesitated thinking back, "No, I don't think so. She looked too young."

"Well if you're talking about the good looking dark haired woman, that's the owner."