Chapter 26: Amanda

ThatOneGirl083 you asked me to update soon. Your wish is granted! Well, I also updated because I couldn't wait to see what people would think of this really short but incredibly intriguing chapter but you are a big part of my motivation to write this story!

.................

"Go, my child. Bring back victory and honor to your people," the woman cupped my tiny chin in her hands and looked into my eyes with hope and excitement. I bowed to her, then to all the assembled Councillors and Elders. They all looked at me the same way, with the same pride and awe. I didn't understand, I was only a little girl, what could I possibly do for them, the elites?

Their hushed voices floated above my head as they led me to the spaceship and buckled me in for the long ride. I did not fight them, I knew I could do no more. I was to go on this mission I hated, and I couldn't change that. After all, they were the elites. They knew best, and what they said was law. 

"Goodbye, Amanda dear," the roar of the rockets drowned out my mother's loving voice and I screamed as the impact of what was happening finally hit me. I couldn't let them send me away, alone, to a planet I knew nothing about. I belonged HERE, at home! I didn't care that they were the elites, they still couldn't do this to me!

My body started to glow blue with rage and frustration and I channeled my energy into my fingertips. I clawed at the glass of the window, yet even the searing heat of my power couldn't melt it. They had made the glass extra thick, they must have guessed I would prefer a swift death in the void of space to this mission I was forced to undertake.

"No! Mommy! Don't leave me!" I yelled, using my power to its max and frantically pulling away the glass, but to no avail. And then I stopped, I was only seven, but I was smart. I couldn't change this, couldn't do anything about it.

I let the blue fade from my fingers and slouched in the seat, crying, as I hurtled into the unknown at 100,000 kilometers per hour.

I would never see my mom, my dad, my sister, or my home again. Well, maybe I would, when the mission was complete, but that wouldn't be for at least ten more years. And even then, everything would be different. I would receive my reward, I would become an Iceheart. I would be like her, the one who sent me on the mission, and her followers. I would be an elite. 

The thought was repulsive and enthralling at the same time. I would be as close to immortal as one can possibly get, I would be as beautiful as her, and I would wield unimaginable power. Power to control, and to destroy. 

But that was later. Now, I was stuck. Now, I had no power, no choice. My life was about to change forever, and I could confide in no one. There was only one thought I could think,

Why me? Why me? Why me?

"Why me!?" I screamed as I woke with a jolt. Sweat dripped down my face and my hands glowed a warm, residual blue. Fumbling in the darkness for my phone, I checked the time. 3:54 A.M. I knew I had many responsibilities as the President of WGO and couldn't afford to stay up, but I couldn't get back to sleep. Not after that dream. The dream.

I stood up and pulled away the sheets to find my mattress was charred in a few places, where I had torn at it with power imbued fingers, thinking it was the window of the spaceship that brought me here so many years ago. Some blue dust had also gotten under my fingernails and between the sheets.

I quickly ran over to the sink and scrubbed the blue out, scolding myself for letting my power out in my sleep. Someone could find out!

Yet I knew I was just distracting myself from what I really wanted to think about. Home. Where my family and friends were, where I wanted to be.

Calm down, you'll go there soon, I told myself. As soon as the mission is complete.

The mission. I remembered her face perfectly, the one who assigned it to me. The one who ripped me from my family and sent me here. I could still see her pale, perfect skin, her high cheekbones, her cold, unfeeling blue eyes. My fingers flashed blue with my anger.

Yes, I would complete this mission, then return home. The second I got there and became an elite, an Iceheart, I would rip her apart, limb for perfect limb.