Chapter 36: Claire

"Okay team, we need to get it together," I told the Sloppie Glitchketballers sternly, a Glitchketball tucked under my arm. "We've already lost a game to the Codies. We can't afford to lose any more or we won't be in the championship."

"The Championship?" Kelly snorted. "We've already broken our division's record of three points in a game with our score of six yesterday. You should just celebrate that and move on, it's not going any farther."

"Come on, what happened to optimistic, early bird Kelly?"

"Nothing, she's right here," Kelly beamed. "It's just that sometimes, you need to be realistic too, or you'll just be disappointed. We're already more motivated and more skilled than ever before, all because of you! Anything more is impossible."

"I know this is really, really cliche...but anything is possible," I said, slamming the Glitchketball on the ground and watching as it bounced back above my head. "If we don't set our goals high, we'll never get anywhere," the Sloppies cheered, running for their Glitchketballs.

"And remember, this fight isn't against Team Cookie. Or Team Speedie. Or even Team Codie," I announced.

"Just when she was starting to make sense," a reg called out sarcastically. However, his smirk vanished when he realized he was the only one who was amused.

"It's a fight against Amanda and her pointless social ladder!" I yelled, pumping my fist in the air as my team cheered. "It's a fight against everyone who ever said Sloppies are failures who can't ever do anything great."

By this time, the other Sloppies were chanting my name so loudly I couldn't even hear myself speak. "It's a fight against fate, because I don't know about you, but if fate tells me to spend the rest of my life cleaning up after some jerks I barely know, I'm going to go tell fate to back off, 'cause this is MY life!"

I beamed victoriously as my team stood in line, ready to practice. Kelly ran over to the other side of the grassy field with her group of four regs and stood in the makeshift Glitching box we had outlined with a jump rope laid out in the grass.

"Ready, set, go!" Tim blew his whistle and the game began. I Coded my regs to sweep past Kelly's defenses to take possesstion of the ball. I was getting better at this!

"Yeah, go Claire!" Tim yelled when one of my regs sunk the ball into the basket. Even he was getting into the game, and I had thought he would never stop being a grouch.

After an hour and a half of practice, Team Sloppie left the field much more prepared for the Cookie game the next evening than I thought we ever would be.

"Hey Claire, want to go to the cafe block? I could really use some good food right now." Kelly asked, jogging up to me after the game.

"Nah, I really just want to sped the rest of the day in my room," I said. "I need some time to myself."

"Okay, maybe later?"

"Yeah," I nodded, beginning to walk back to the Can.

Somehow, even though there were plenty of things- like Glitchketball- to distract me, my thoughts kept going back to my weird vision. I felt some kind of connection to that queen, and it bothered me. Who was she? And I was starting to ask myself a new question. Who was I?

Opening the door of the Can and running up the stairs, I literally tumbled onto the bottom bunk. That day's cleaning as well as the intense Glitchketball practice had worn me out.

Before I knew it, I had slipped into a vivid dream. Once again, I was the strange queen, only now, I was younger. Armetorius, who stood again in front of me, looked younger too, so I figured this was many years before the other incident. Across from Armetorius stood a boy who looked a few years younger than "me" (the queen). 

"What's wrong, Saralee?" Asked the boy, looking concerned. I could tell that the queen (so her name was Saralee) was very agitated, but I didn't know why. While in these weird dreams, I could feel her raw emotions, but didn't have access to the thoughts behind them. 

"I don't feel so good," I said, sitting down in an armchair with delicate grace. 

"But you should be excited," the boy said with a smile. "Tomorrow is Keilee's coronation, she's going to be Queen over all of Lessaenes! And the best part is always the ball. I heard there's going to be food and dancers from all over the Empire! Keilee said it's going to be the greatest celebration the planet has ever seen!" 

"You don't understand, Airel, all you see is the fun and the glamor," I sighed. "You're too immature to get it." 

"What's there not to understand?" The boy- Airel- shrugged. "Stop being so sour and come outside with me. The reporters are dying for interviews with the Prince and the Princess!"  

"I'd rather not," I shook my head. "Just tell them that Princess Saralee is sleeping, or preparing for her sister's coronation, or something." 

"Okay, but you're missing out!" Prince Airel winked before skipping out of the room. 

"So, Princess," Armetorius smiled darkly as soon as my brother was out of earshot. "What's really troubling you?" 

"The pompous, well-dressed fool who will soon disgrace our sacred throne," I said with disgust, shaking my head. 

"I know, I know," Armetorius patted me on the shoulder comfortingly. "It is indeed quite a stroke of bad luck that you were born second. Princess Keilee could neither match you in intelligence nor love for the Lessaenite Empire." 

"But it doesn't have to be this way," I turned around, smiling with cruel desire.

"How?" Armetorius asked, suddenly excited. 

"Do you promise me that no matter what idiot sits on the throne, you will be forever and always loyal to me?" I raised an eyebrow. 

"I swear on my name and honor, Princess Saralee," he replied gravely. 

"Armetorius..." I began, my eyes brightening with dark ambition. 

"We need to kill Keilee."

.........................................

Also, I can't believe I haven't done a cast for this yet! Here it is-

Claire- TheMelonOfMc

Amanda- TheWatermelonTroll

The evil Lessaenite Queen Saralee- ME!

Kelly- ThatOneGirl083

Eva- laas_mango

Megan- CrystalWolf798

Note: If a character isn't in the cast, that doesn't mean they aren't important. It just means I don't know anyone who fits their personality :D