Chapter 29: Claire

Before I start with this next chapter, I want to thank all of you who have been reading and voting for this story. I just found out that it's ranked 79 in science fiction! I never thought I'd ever come close to the top 100, but here I am thanks to you!

.....................................

Most of WGO was gathered in the bleachers by the Glitchketball court, waiting anxiously to see if they or their friends made the Division teams. I sat with Kelly on the warm concrete. There wasn't enough space for everyone in the bleachers during large gatherings that involved almost the entire organization, and, as expected, we Sloppies were the ones who had to give up our seats.

As usual, Amanda, Jade, Calvin, and Megan had disappeared from view into their government box at the top of the bleachers and the Codies and Cookies got the top few rows of the bleachers. 

The Speedies filled in the lower rows, and some of them preferred to stand. It seemed as if the hierarchy controlled everything everyone did.

"Hello everyone, welcome to the first day of the Glitchketball season!" Lucy yelled, and everyone cheered loudly. A huge screen flickered to life behind her, displaying the WGO logo and "The Official WGO Glitchketball league" in large, gold lettering.

"Are you ready to find out who made the teams?" The cheering escalated and a few of the Speedies even threw baseball caps, bandannas, and change at the court. 

"Let's see! We're starting with Team Codie!" Lucy yelled, Coding the screen to switch to another slide.

"Our Team Codie regs are...Justin King!" His Codie friends cheered as Justin skipped down the stairs to the court and received a red cloth bag. 

"Michael Ramirez!" 

"Kennedy Parker!" 

"Joe Gray!" 

"Elyse Lane!" 

"Peyton Walker!" 

The enthusiastic Codie regs walked down the stairs one by one to pick up their Glitchketball bags.

"Let's give our Team Codie regs a big hand! Now, for their Glitches! Let's hear it for Vincent Cobbler and Eva Mae Song!" 

Shouts of "Eva!" and "Vince!" rang through the air as the two were practically carried down the stairs by enthusiastic Codies. The Glitch bags they got were a bit bigger than the reg ones, and were emblazoned with purple.

"And now, it's time for Team Cookie!" The Cookies cheered in anticipation.

"Oh, we have a sibling thing going on with the regs! Vanessa Ramirez!" A young girl happily walked down the stairs, she must have been Michael Ramirez's sister. 

"Hey, want to go get a drink or something? It's going to be a while before she gets to Sloppies," Kelly leaned over and whispered in my ear. 

"Sure," I shrugged, and the two of us stood up, inching our way past many pairs of legs, around the court, and toward the Cookies' cafe block. With nearly the entire organization at the results announcement, the cafes were deserted. 

"You know, I wish Government had a Glitchketball team," said Kelly as we entered the first cafe we saw. 

"Why?"