The Same Stars

Elizabeth Keen was never the same, she quit her job, and moved to Washington, the one place she knew Red had never touched, nor she had any recollection of setting foot in that state. To her it was new life, starting over, trying new things, maybe even adopting a child.

But of course, she never could get Red off her mind. He was the first thought when she woke up and the last right before she drifted off to sleep. She thought he was the one; I mean after all they've been through, the fire, his blacklist, and the Cabal. She thought that he would have stayed forever, he promised her that he would, that no matter what, he would've been there to love her and hold her. But to her he had changed his mind, that she was just another Madeline Pratt. After all he was the first one to say I love you. She always believed that she would be the first one to say those three words.

She woke up like usual at 3am lauded in bed for a hour until she was attracted to the sliver stars above. She slipped on a jacket and slippers and scurried out the bedroom's sliding door. She walked for less than two minutes and came to a clearing with a hammock and a clear view of the stars. For some reason this was just the right dose of him. When she laid down the back of her eyelids produced images of his blue eyes glistening in the moonlight.

Complementing God's creation. Not one in all her years that she knew Red believed in a higher power. He just responded with a roguish grin,    " Lizzie, that's the one thing I took away from my childhood. Every Sunday my parents and siblings would get up at the crack of dawn to go to church." He had explained.

She missed his sarcasm, dry humor, and wit. How he would kiss her; soft, languid, but a sense of hunger and desire. Naomi was right when she said that he can make any woman feel like the center of his universe.

She opened her eyes, and her blue orbs came face to face with thousands of stars. She smiled, but it soon turned into a frown. She sensed something was off, very off, she didn't know how, but something was different.

Maybe because he was gazing up with admiration at the same set of stars.