Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A V E R Y

"Oh my gosh, do you guys know what day it is?" Rebecca's voice highly shrieked, fully evident with energy.

Rebecca, Natalie, Ellie, Willow, and I were all standing in front of Ellie's locker, waiting for our classes to resume near the end of the day as we all had our binders and textbooks in hand. It was roughly about a week later; one week after seeing Wade at the ice rink. I was a little distracted at times ever since then but I couldn't seem to ignore what I witnessed at school and at the arena. It didn't exactly seem right at what Wade had supposedly told his friends and what happened at the rink.

No matter how much I kept convincing myself that I didn't even know what had happened and that maybe he lied for specific reasons, he might've not meant for anyone to hear anything and see what he had done in the first place. At first, people told me to watch out for him, although resuming from when I encountered him myself, it didn't seem like that at all.

Ever since then he had cancelled the deal he made with Michelle about myself and also personally wrote out a letter for me to apologize himself. The thing was, he also did lie to his friends and knew I was there at both times - at school and the rink - when it all unfolded.

One thing was evident about Wade Bradley; deep inside, I knew for a fact that he was hiding something now and that there was a chance he wasn't what people said he was.

"Why, what day is it today?" I furrowed my eyebrows, temporarily blocking away my inside thoughts.

Natalie shockingly gasped, turning to face me as if she couldn't believe what I had said. "How could you not know what day it is today?"

"What's so special about today, then?" Willow remarked, clutching her books for her next class.

Ellie spun around from her locker to face us, with an amused expression on her face, as Rebecca and Natalie turned to each other with gaping mouths and wide eyes.

"It's February twenty-fourth," Ellie snickered, folding her arms across her chest. "It's just Wade Bradley's birthday; he's turning sixteen today."

"Ellie, it's not just Wade's sixteenth birthday," Rebecca jokingly scoffed, facing Ellie.

"Yeah, Becca's right!" Natalie agreed, before adding in another supposedly important detail. "Wade's friends have been letting everyone know that there's a party at his place this Saturday for his birthday."

Rebecca clasped her hands together, showing that she was definitely excited for this upcoming newly-announced party. "Yeah, Natalie and I definitely need to get ourselves invited to it! Maybe we'll get to hang out with some of the popular kids that way."

"I do not want any part of that," Ellie raised her eyebrows, shocking me with her sudden statement. "To be honest, Wade Bradley is overrated."

"How?" I curiously inquired Ellie, clutching my books tighter.

"Well, he's arrogant first of all. Second, do you even know how many times he's gotten suspended from getting into fights that weren't needed?" Ellie began to state, ticking off the reasons as to why on her fingers. "Lastly, he and his friends always make it seem as if their lives are so much better than others, like only putting themselves first before putting others first. I'm not usually judgmental, but if he goes around acting like it as well, you need to let everyone be aware of him. Need I go on?"

If only they found out what I knew about Wade.

Before I could even come up with an answer to Ellie's reasonings, the sharp ringing of the school's bell interrupted me, indicating that we had to head to our last class of the day. Loads of students around us began rushing to their classes, pushing people aside accidentally and when I looked back at the girls, Rebecca and Natalie were gone as well, without saying a good-bye. Fortunately, Ellie and Willow were still in front of me.