Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

W A D E

For a while, things were starting to look up for me and my family. Mom proved that she would do her best to make up for all the times we missed together by dropping us off at school, visiting us at the apartment after school, and having dinner with us on a daily basis. She caught up with us about how we were doing in school and what we were busy with every time she had the chance. On weekends, she took us out for family trips to the mall, the movies, the zoo, and the museum.

        Finally learning to let go of my grudge against her made it more worthwhile for me to enjoy time spent with her, Grandpa, and my sisters. There was a different feeling of happiness around us. It was almost like we were at peace with ourselves for the first time in a long time.

        Until life threw us another curveball.

        "You've gotta be kidding me," I scoffed, throwing the letter to the side.

        I looked over at Mom, Charlie, and Audrey who watched me from the living room. I put my head in my hands. I didn't even have to look up to know that they were worried since I could hear their footsteps coming closer to me.

        Grandpa took a seat beside me before asking, "What's wrong, my boy?"

        "We can't catch a break with the rent. Not when it keeps getting higher like this," I replied, handing him the letter before putting my hands behind the back of my neck. "Can they even do that? It hasn't even been a year since the last increase."

        "Technically, they shouldn't be allowed to raise it for another year. But the ninety-day notice to this increase says otherwise," Grandpa answered, pushing his reading glasses up his nose to read the notice.

        Mom lifted Charlie onto her lap, as she and my sisters read over the letter. Audrey finally asked, "If we can't pay the rent, does this mean we have to move? Where are we going to stay?"

        Frustrated, I sighed and leaned back into my chair. I thought about it for a second before saying the first thing that came to my mind, "I could pick up extra shifts at the sports store and do yard work."

        "No," Mom and Grandpa said at the same time, giving each other a knowing look. Mom continued, "You overworked yourself the last time it came down to it. We don't want to see you in the same position again. It isn't worth it, Wade."

        "But there has to be something I can do. I can't just sit here and do nothing," I insisted, trying to reason with them.

        "Honey, you have enough to focus on with school. We'll let Aunt Olive know about our situation so we can talk about possible options," Mom reassured, sending me a small smile and grasping my hand as she looked at all of us. "Don't worry, we'll figure this out together."

__________

Even though it was only the end of September, school was already busy for everyone in their senior year. There were tons of things to keep track of—meetings with guidance counsellors about graduation requirements, asking teachers to write recommendation letters, and more.

        Avery and I decided to go to a cafe near school one Saturday morning to have breakfast and work on school stuff. It was a last-minute thing, so we sat across from each other with tired eyes like we got out of bed minutes ago. I was pretty sure I still had bed hair, which wasn't a good look on me.

        But not Avery. Her dark brown hair was in a loose braid and she had no make-up on. She wore a hoodie and sweatpants, typing away on her laptop and writing in her notebook. The best part was that she was wearing my navy blue hoodie that I gave to her one time she came over to our place. It was a little big on her, but I loved how she looked in it that I told her to keep it.