two

I casually strolled into the police precinct, acting like I hadn't been gone for the past hour. It had started pouring while I was letting Caitlin poke and prod at me, and I did my best to stay dry on my run back. I didn't want to draw any attention by walking into the station soaked from head to toe, but it looked like it didn't really matter all that much. No one seemed to notice my absence as I jogged up the stairs, mentally preparing one hell of an apology for ditching Izzy in her second hour at CCPD. It hadn't been my plan for when I first met her, and my guilt was nearly suffocating. When I walked into my lab, my apology was cut short by the sight of Iris and Izzy laughing at something unknown to me. Izzy was sitting in my chair at the computer, most likely reading over the ballistics on the gunpowder. Iris was sitting on the edge of my desk, her head thrown back as laughs escaped her lips. It took me a second to realize that there was music playing just softer than their laughter, music that sounded incredibly familiar but something that I couldn't put a name to at the moment. I was honestly too focused on the fact that Iris was here, looking like she was getting better acquainted with my partner than I was.

Izzy was the first of the two to notice my presence, and she smiled at me, sending my heart to my ribcage as my stomach burst in anxiety. "Nice to see you came back." She greeted playfully. "I thought you had left for the day."

I shook my head with a slight smile. "No, no a friend just needed my help with something." I looked at Iris, and she smiled softly at me, her eyes looking incredibly tired. "What are you doing here, Iris?"

"What? A girl can't visit her best friend at work?" She questioned, standing up and hugging me tightly.

I chuckled, hugging her back. "Of course you can." I said, pulling away to look at her. "I just haven't seen you around here in awhile. I thought that you'd skipped town."

She shrugged. "I haven't been seen a lot of places outside work and my loft lately."

"How is that?" I asked, knowing that she'd been living uptown ever since Eddie passed. "Joe told me that you've been uptown, but I haven't had time to come by and see it."

"It's pretty nice. The rent is a steal because the building is supposedly haunted, but I haven't seen a ghost yet."

I chuckled. "Well, I hope that it works out for you. So, what were you and Izzy doing before I got here?"

"She came by looking for you," Izzy answered, "and I was just entertaining until you came back."

"Izzy was telling me about a band that she had seen back in Starling City a few months ago." Iris explained. "Apparently it was a crazy night due to an even crazier band, and it sounded like a lot of fun."

"What band was it?" I asked.

"All Time Low." She answered, pointing upwards in a gesture towards the music flowing through the lab. "I saw them for this album, and they acted like complete idiots for the entire three hours they were on stage. It was, in all honesty, the best night of my life to date, and I would give anything to relive it."

The music started to become more and more familiar, and all of the song titles and lyrics became clear in my head. "I wanted to go to that show." I laughed lightly. "I've been into them ever since their Nothing Personal album came out, and I was so upset that I wasn't able to go out to Starling to see them."

"Why couldn't you go?"

Because I was closing a singularity that was threatening to devour the city. "It conflicted with a couple of work things." I lied, trying to make my chuckle sound as nonchalant as possible. "I was swamped with paperwork and tests that I had to run, so I didn't have a lot of time to get out of here. Plus, I didn't have anyone to go with."