four

Izzy

I slowly paced up and down the lab, occasionally looking out the window in anticipation of the rain stopping. My first week in Central City had been nothing but rain, and it was starting to get annoying. All I'd wanted to do ever since I got wind of the move was roam around in an attempt to get my bearings so that I wouldn't continuously get lost. I'd managed to learn my way from my apartment to the precinct with a minimal amount of confusion, but I didn't know where anything else was. Thankfully, I lived next door to a grocery store, so I wasn't starving to death, but I didn't know where any of the subway stations were, I could vaguely recall where I saw some take-out places, and I was completely clueless as to where any clothing stores were. If the rain didn't let up soon, I was going to lose my mind from being confined in two places.

Barry was vacant from the lab yet again, and I was beginning to grow suspicious. I had absolutely no idea where he was going all the time or why he was going there when he was supposed to be working. I didn't want to call him out on it, though, because I used to skip out of work all the time when I was in Starling City if I didn't have any more work to tend to. I just wished that he would have been around more so that I could have someone to talk to. It was strangely easy for me to talk to Barry. I didn't know why that was, but it was nice to be able to connect with someone without spending all of my time and energy to do it. He was the first person since my grandfather and my sister that I could talk to without feeling like he was out to get me or that he was annoyed with me, and that was foreign to me.

I sighed heavily, walking away from the window and collapsing in the swivel chair in front of the computer, looking at the bright screen with dull eyes. I was running a fingerprints match for a burglary that had happened earlier today, and it was taking much longer than needed. The network was down because of the weather, and it was almost as annoying as the weather itself. The low rumble of thunder rang through the lab, shaking the beakers and my sanity. I'd always hated thunder ever since I was little, and it had been something that's been with me forever. I did my best to ignore it, tracing over the logo tattooed on my right wrist. It was my most recent addition, and I was so happy that Randy had done such a good job with it. He understood how much All Time Low meant to me, and since Future Hearts is my favorite album thus far, he offered to do the tattoo for me without charging more than $20 because I was best friends with his little sister.

The familiar sounds of Holy by PVRIS filled the relatively empty lab, bringing a smile to my face. It was one of my favorite songs at the moment, along with PVRIS being one of my favorite bands. I was about to start singing along when there was suddenly a huge gust of wind blasted through the room. I looked up and saw Barry putting his jacket in his locker, greeting me nonchalantly. I furrowed my brow, not remembering hearing him walk in. I shook off my confusion, smiling at him when he turned around.

"Nice to see you again." I greeted happily, seeing his bright eyes shining.

"Sorry." He apologized for what felt like the thousandth time. "I was out running an errand for Joe."

I nodded. "That's understandable." I chuckled.

He sat down in the seat next to the desk. "So, what are you up to?"

"Running fingerprint matches on a bank robber." I stated, looking at the computer screen. "The network's down because of the storm, so it's been taking longer than usual."

"They already found the guy who did it."

I looked back at Barry. "What?"

He nodded. "Yeah, they caught him already. They're processing him downstairs right now."

I jumped up from my seat and practically sprinted downstairs, hearing Barry behind me. I jogged down the stairs, walking into the precinct to see officers fingerprinting someone who, honestly, looked like they would rob a bank. He was tall and built, dark hair covering most of his face. His thin lips were set in a hard line as he glared down at his handcuffed hands. His clothes were dark, a tell-tale sign of a bank robber. My jaw dropped to the floor, not understanding how they had managed to catch the criminal before any of my tests were done.