6. The Fall Of Angels

Meadow sat up on the couch with her knees pulled in, watching the two boys that sat on the floor.

Nick is out, she thought.

Withdrawal kicking in like a dry blistering white sun descending into a blue ocean. Evaporation of the senses and a drying of rivers in his pale veins.

Nick's situation was all too well known with Meadow, her persistence and threats getting the best of her as she tried valiantly to dispose of the soul sucking substances he kept on finding.

"What just happened?"

She asked, already knowing the answer to her question.

Oh I know, Nick here wanted a pitiful release and a quick high but was too much of a fucking idiot to maneuver stealthy across the room.
now he's had a fit and passed out in his future lover's arms. How fucking romantic.

Meadow rolled her eyes and slid off the couch and leaned in beside Shawn, silently assessing nick in the process. Holding his head that was in Shawn's lap.

Shawn sat their uncomfortably and tried not to panic, his voice a scratchy mess.

"I don't know. He just got up randomly and then next thing I know he's yelling and banging on things and now he's.. on the floor."

"In your arms."

He nodded.

"Yeah."

Meadow let out an exasperated sigh, her eyeballs feeling permanently stuck behind her head.

"Typical. He has a meltdown, at what? What's the time? like four fucking AM? and of course he decides to fall into your arms. Cliché Nick at his finest."

"Can you be serious for a sec? Is he OK? Like do we call someone or something? Doe I could really use some bloody advice here."

"He's fine dumbass. He does this all the time when we try to keep him clean. Just, if he wakes get him some water, if you have and let him sleep it off. I'll call the others. They can help later if he decides to go all animal on us again. He didn't hurt you did he?"

"No. But he did catch me off guard. My hearts still racing."

"Of course it is. How adorable."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, shut the fuck up. He's been salivating over you since this morning and you're practically whipped. You just love trying to mend the broken. Well, good luck. He's resilient and...
Trust me Shawn, he is a grenade. I love him, I really do he's amazing when properly sober but he's still a grenade. Y- we have to be careful."

"Hes not broken.. He's not broken, he's bent. Not broken. I'll watch over him. We'll watch him right? I mean withdrawal lasts for only so long and the boarding process starts soon. I'm sure we'll all be OK by then."

"You barely know him and you're mapping out his trip to sobriety like its your job, Shawn do you know what you're getting self into? Don't get me wrong. You guys are perfect for each other than, y'know the fact that he's an unstable time bomb and you're a teddy bear with a hero complex. Just heads up for the storm you're entering."

"Right now all I can focus on is him getting better OK? I don't wanna think about him like.. That. That's too much right now especially with what's about to happen. Look, trust me. I know this seems bad, but I've dealt with this before, firsthand. I was a mess back in Toronto, but I got through it."

"You never really did tell me what you were on. I'm sorry to bring it up."

The subject matter of their four AM conversation took a dark turn. The usual brightness and lucidity in Shawn's eyes vanished, his breath let out and his chest felt void and dry.

These Last Daysजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें