seven

I don't even have the words to describe Luke right now.

He just stands there, the expression on his face one of utter shock and sheer confusion. He's drenched in liquid now, just staring at me with the most goddamn innocent face.

I almost feel bad for him, but nope. No regrets. He can handle it after all that he's done to me.

"Kaci Allison Bennett!"

It takes a couple seconds for my dad to process what I just did. But when it does he storms right over to me, his face bright red. I don't think I've ever seen him this angry.

Oh, right, how could I forget? My father loves Luke.

I mean, who wouldn't? His blue eyes sparkle like the ocean, his blonde quiff looks fluffy as hell, and that lip ring only increases his desirability.

NOT.

"A-Apologize to Luke right now!" He sputters, pointing a shaky finger at me. He's never reprimanded me much before, but now that we have an audience apparently he has to keep up his 'role' as the man of the household.

I consider laughing in his face. I honestly do.

But thankfully Michael comes to my aid before I say anything I regret, chipping in, "But Mr. Bennett, in all due respect, he deserved it."

"Yeah." Calum chips in quickly, biting his lip as to not burst out laughing. "He really did."

"Steven, relax." I hear Anne say from behind us, her voice soothing. Surprising, considering she's never stuck up for me before. "They're just kids."

Just kids? Huh, we'll see about that.

My father, face still stained with anger, pauses for a minute, considering her advice. Then, finally, he exhales and walks away, leaving Michael, Calum, Luke, and me alone.

"Hey, guys!" Ashton's chipper voice sounds out from behind me as he comes into view, beaming happily. He missed the whole ordeal, thank God. "Ready to swim?"

Luke just nods stiffly, Calum cheers, "Yes!", and Michael shrugs, "Eh, maybe later."

I'm the only one who doesn't reply, causing Ashton to peer at me with those innocent hazel eyes. "Are you coming, Kaci?"

"Maybe in a little bit." I reply vaguely, not really in the swimming mood. Especially if Luke's there, too.

"Alright. Suit yourselves." Ashton replies, smiling at Michael and I before grabbing Luke and Calum and dragging them to the water's edge.

Then it's just Michael and I, standing in the shade, just watching from afar.

Ashton takes the plunge first, diving headfirst into the water. Calum is soon to follow, then tackles Luke so he falls under. Idiot.

Michael addresses me a few minutes later. "Why aren't you swimming?"

I shrug. "I don't really feel like it."

"Ah," Michael replies, a knowing smirk on his face. But he doesn't know anything. "Okay."

"Why aren't you swimming?" I ask him, just for the sake of conversation.