Prologue

You might say I was weird if you knew everything about me.

Well, it would probably be better for you if you kept that opinion in mind when I lay out the whole story.

Maybe you should just keep an open mind.

But before I say my side of the story, I need to make sure you know something. My name is Liv Chase, and I can read minds.

Now, don't run away screaming just yet. I promise I'm not from the looney bin.

You need to know that I never wanted to be a mind reader. I'd rather have a regular teenage life with regular teenage problems, like, does the hot guy in algebra II like me, or when will the hottest boyband releases their next single.

I can remember so many times in my youth where I wished to give up my gift at a chance to find my real parents.

Being what I am is dangerous. In fact, I'm pretty sure half the people I meet are out to kill me. I wasn't even supposed to make it past my sixteenth birthday.

If you're absolutely normal, like 95% sure you are, then you are probably reading this because you think what I'm about to say isn't real, that it's all fiction for your enjoyment. Great. Read on. Enjoy whatever silly life you're living because I envy you with all my heart that you can believe that none of this is true, because it most definitely is.

But if you're reading this book because you think you see a little of yourself in me, stop. Close this book and never open it again. Throw it in the flames of hell if you have to, just don't read on. Please just believe whatever lie your mom and dad told you about who you are. Don't go digging. Just be happy yours stayed around.

I'm telling you all of this because, if you are like me, if you are different, they will know. Just the fact that you've picked up this book is suspicion enough for most to come after you. Once you start to believe, you won't be safe.

Don't say that I never warned you of the consequences.

So, if you are like me and decided to keep reading, I give you a warning.

If you are as powerful as me, they will right their mistakes and eliminate you before you can eliminate them.

Good luck.