XVI

"What?! I thought you were on my side, Magnus!" I yelled at him, not caring about the attention we were attracting on the busy street.

"Liv, just listen-"

"No!" I exclaimed. "Are you crazy? Hawthorne isn't my friend, he will most likely kill me, blood relation or not. Has this been your plan all along? Were you just getting close to me so you could gain my trust? Was this all some sort of charade so that you could hand me over to your boss quietly?"

"Liv!" He interjected in my rant. "That's not what I was doing."

"Oh, yeah? Well, it's not hard to believe. It looks like you would do anything to be the Warlock your parents wanted you to be, like your brother, am I right? The only way you'll ascend in that little ladder of ranking in your stupid little magical community is if you turn me in, and what's stopping you? I should never have trusted you!"

"That's not what this it, Olivia! You have the Hunters after you, and twenty of them in the same place is never a good thing. They believe that all things unhuman are horrible creatures. They won't give you the benefit of the doubt, no matter if you're friends with one of their daughters. They'll just think that you befriended her to do something bad to her. Don't you see this, Liv? At least with the Warlocks I can help you. I know Hawthorne won't kill you as well. He'll want to interrogate you first."

"Oh, great. I get to be tortured by a bunch of rednecks with vendettas or a madman of a father who thinks I'll destroy his reign. Just great, Magnus."

He sighed in frustration. "Look, Hawthorne isn't completely evil. You're his blood, he'll value that even if you are a monster in his eyes."

I narrowed my eyes and stepped closer to him, "Well, that didn't stop him from killing my mother, now did it?"

Magnus tilted his head in confusion. "Your mother? When did he do that, and, quite frankly, how did you find that out?"

It was my turn to freeze up. He didn't know about the other little dream I had, where I saw Hawthorne ordering his thugs to kill me, and then my mother jumping in front of me. And then the little mental freak out I had that caused them all to hold their heads in pain, like what I accidently did to the librarian the other day. My mother was the one who caused me to forget my old life, and I didn't blame her if her own husband turned out to be a homicidal maniac.

"I . . . uh . . . I had another dream the night you told me about what I was. It was memories from before I was put in the foster care system. Hawthorne came over to this apartment where my mom had hidden us and he ordered them to kill or capture me, but she stepped in front of me and their magic hit her instead. She died, but not before performing a spell that would make me forget my life before that. Before I passed out, I did something with my powers and all the men fell down, pain radiating throughout their heads. It scared me that I could do something like that with my powers."

Magnus scoffed. "And why didn't you tell me this sooner?"

"Well, with Mandy Dawson being attacked the next morning and Victoria escaping I had a bit more important things on my mind there."

Magnus sighed in frustration and ran a hand through his hair. "Well, I don't think there's any place safer for you now."

We were seriously back on this track? Again?

"Magnus, maybe you didn't hear me the first time, but I am not going to be handed over to the one man in this world who is out for my blood for no other reason than to prove a point and avoid a stupid prophecy that was written in some stupid book."