Chapter 1

Step Brother

Tris POV:

"Mom, why are we moving into their house? I'm a girl, we have more things to move. Besides, Marc has one son and from what I've heard he's barely even home. We had a huge house with dad, why couldn't we all just move in there?" I whine continuously to my mother who is currently rolling her eyes at me as she drives our family vehicle.

"Because, honey, your dad wanted to sell the house and Marc's family home is quite lovely. I think you're going to love it. They even have a pool..." She says trying to convince me to see her side. I roll my eyes.

"Nothing will make me want to actually be there. I've been uprooted from where I grew up. And is it even legal for Abnegation families to move into a Dauntless home?!" I ask waiting for an answer. I hear my mother sigh.

"Yes. For the tenth time, Tris. It's perfectly legal. We are transferring factions and you should know by now that we will not be abnegation as soon as we cross the faction borders. Your step father and I have done all the proper paperwork and all the necessities that went with it. Will giving you my credit card and going shopping for a whole new wardrobe make you happy?" She says trying to butter me. I hate that it's working.

"One, I hate hearing the words 'step father' and two, I will most definitely take your card and shop till I drop" I say laughing. My mother laughs with me.

"I promise, Tris. Everything happens for a reason. You'll make new friends and maybe even get along with your new brother" she says.

"I have a brother, Mother. He got lucky and gets to stay in Abnegation. And I have perfectly nice friends who I suddenly don't get to see anymore just by the way" I say to her.

"Okay, listen up kiddo. I'm going to be very clear on this and honest. You had one friend who treated you like crap and used you. We both know this. And two, the boy you had a crush on fell in love with your best friend. And you've been in a depressed mood for months now. That is why you are coming and not Caleb. Honey, you and I are so much alike. I know you are smart and brave and will be able to make so many better friends here and maybe find someone who you can actually connect here with. Please at least give it a chance. People here are much different. Just keep an open mind and give it a chance. If you don't like it, you have another year before you get to do the ceremony and choose what you want to do." She says, her eyes begging for me to understand. My arms are crossed as I think about what she says and stare at her in the mirror pondering whether I want to be a brat about this or understanding.

"Fine, I'll do it. I'll do it for you." I finally say.

"Do it for us, Tris" My mother says smiling. I smile back at her. Both of us understanding one another.

An hour later we finally arrive at a huge house in a nice neighborhood. I sit up more in my seat and look out the window and observe the entire scene. I can't believe this is where the Coultor's live. Holy shit they are rich. I know Marc is leader in Dauntless but I didn't know they made that much money. My father, Andrew, is also a leader but in Abnegation I guess they don't make near as much being selfless as all. As we stop in the long drive away, we park in front of the house and I unbuckle my seat. My mother gets our first and is greeted by the door opening. I open the door thinking it's Marc but I see a blonde girl walking quite fast out of the place. I didn't know they had a daughter. She had on a black leather skirt and a tight red shirt and black high heels. Great, now I have to deal with hoebag-magoo. It almost looked like she was doing the walk of shame.

I look at my mother and she shrugs. Now I am so confused.

"Who was that?" I ask her.

"Probably Eric's flavor of the week, as Marc says" my mother explains. Ugh, gross. Instantly feeling nauseous to my stomach. Great, now I have to deal with this crap. At least Caleb was a gentlemen and had manners around women. I wonder who this famous step-brother is.