Chapter 3

Step-Brother 3

A/n: This isn't edited so I apologize in advance.  The characters are a little AU, especially Tris.  I wanted her to be strong even when she was in Abnegation and be this bad-ass warrior woman with some tricks up her sleeve to make things interesting.  Please enjoy this next chapter and review!

"Why am I being put in your husband's class? If you can call it a class... Do you know what this means?" I throw my hands up and throw the paper away from myself and into the backseat. "It'll be me and my awful new step brother in the same class...". We just left the school and in a hurry I might say. I was put into four classes to finish my schooling and one of them is an extracurricular class, Leader in Training and is only taught by the current leader. Who happens to be my step father...

"Honey, you have to realize that you are his family now. And he takes it very seriously. He sees you as someone who is important and can leave his legacy behind. I didn't know that meant putting you in this class but I know his intentions are good. Just trust me, I trust him Beatrice. It's not that bad, you're being overdramatic" My mom gently says.

"But this isn't fair. I'm the new girl and I don't want any more attention on me. " I whine even more.

"Look at it this way. If anyone try's to pick on you, they won't get any further then your step brother. And nobody will want to mess with the leaders daughter" she says.

"Step-daughter." I quickly add. "And you don't know that. I will be an easy target for everyone. You don't know these people, mom. And secondly, Eric isn't going to protect me. I can already tell you he's going to stay away from me as much as possible" I say.

"Let's just let this topic rest and move onto other things. How was your trip to the mall?" she asks changing the topic.

"Surprisingly okay. I wasn't ganged up and put into a corner if that's what you're asking. I actually met someone nice. His names Uriah. He said he was expecting my arrival and someone told him I was coming" I tell her.

"Well, Eric is quite popular in school. Could have been him sweetheart" my mom says turning the corner of our street.

"Of course he is" I mutter to myself.

We pull up to the house and find myself in the kitchen staring into the refrigerator. Holy cow they have a lot of food. And food I've never even seen before. I put my hair up in a ponytail and I feel someone bump into my back.

"Oh sorry..." I say putting my arms down and turning around to apologize to them

"No need to apologize, Beatrice. I just came down for a drink." He says

"Oh yeah, sure" I mumble.

"You're kind of in the way." He says and puts his hands on my waist and moves me to the side.
"So what do you guys do here, in dauntless that is." I ask him. Let's try and play nice for a moment here. And talk about something he likes...

"Party, run, fight, and pretty much party" he says laughing.

"Right..." I say not knowing how that will go over with my mom. I can't even begin to imagine me telling her I'm going to a party.

"I'm sure you aren't going to be doing much of any of that. In less than a year you'll be right back in Abnegation, won't you Stiff?" he asks, and taking a drink of whatever was called 'Fizzy Grape Pop'. Sounded interesting though.

"Wow, nice assumption and it's not even your business, but who knows, maybe I'll like it here" I say shrugging

"I better hope you like it here. I heard you'll also be in LIT class with me. Just know it's a privilege and I take it very seriously. If you can't hang, then I suggest you find a way out of Dauntless, quickly." He says warning me. Assuming LIT was Leader in Training, and I quickly gathered it was. He walks out of the kitchen with his drink and bumps his shoulder into mine and goes right back upstairs. I can't believe he just said that to me. He doesn't know me at all. All my life, everyone has underestimated me and now more than ever I wanted to show them all. And now was my chance, now that I am dauntless.