The Curse of Beauty

One summer the queen finally conceived. The king was so happy he ordered for the child's christening even before it was born. Everyone in the kingdom of Andreana was invited— the baker, the fisherman, the plumber, the professor, and their families; the seamstress with her forty-two cats; the librarian (who only came for the food and brought twelve books to read); the forester and his firstborn son; magicians, gymnasts, puppeteers, a choir of puppies, and young violin protege Jolecia, who all performed on a stage in the courts.

Now the land was not as enchanted as you might think. Only one fairy existed. Her name was Tatiana. She lived in the outskirts of Andreana, in a hole on a huge oak tree in the forest by the sea. She was a short, thin little one who only wore dresses made of purple and platinum silk laced with tears of hope cried by dying soldiers. Her hair were of crushed pearls, her of eyes diamonds. Tatiana sat on a throne of Prussian blue roses (her favorite flower) placed beside the king and queen. She was the grandest guest of all.

The rite began; the priest concluded by calling each important people of Andreana one by one to bestow gifts upon the child. When it was at last Tatiana's turn, everyone fell silent, eager to hear her blessing. Sprinkling twinkling dust about, the fairy flew over to the queen, knelt before the swelling belly, and whispered the following verse:

Dear one, a boy or girl might be,
Thee I bless with eternal beauty—
both beauty which fools cherish,
and that which only the wise can see.

The queen's day of bearing finally arrived; and to their surprise two little girls were born. The older was named Clara, who grew with a face of handsomely symmetric features. She was called Fairest of All (even in the nearby kingdoms), granting her an impossible list of admirers, which (to their dismay) she showed no interest. She was only curious of herself— so occupied that she shut herself most of the time within her bedroom walls made of mirrors.

The twin was named Lillian. She was very much the opposite of her sister. No; she was not ugly, but rather unappealing: her faded black hair and small, button nose impressed no-one. She was a quiet lady whom people often overlooked, but she had something her sister was far from having: a heart of gold.

.~○~.

One day a young king from a faraway kingdom (who went by the name of Yermiyah) went to Andreana. He had been in fact searching for a queen and was wondering if he could see the princess who was fairer than moonlight. The line of knights and princes was longer than usual that day so Yermiyah lost interest and decided to go home. As he drove out of the castle's gates he saw a young woman by the moat under a tent teaching orphans. He approached the woman to ask where the shortest route to Troaz Bridge was.

"Take the path down a road called Rizba, and when you see a post-sign covered in wisteria, turn left."

"Thank you," he stuttered, as he observed the little board the young woman held: it was a tool for teaching young children how to read. "May I know your name?" he added.

"Lillian."

"Lillian? Lillian of Andreana? Princess Lillian?"

The young woman chuckled almost inaudibly, and blushed. "I'd rather be called teacher— Teacher Lillian," and at that very moment the young king knew whom he wished to have as his queen.

King Yermiyah once again visited Andreana in a week. While other royalties were looking for the Fairest of All, he looked for Lillian, whom he wanted to know more about. He frequented her, bringing gifts and time. His eyes were only for her (even after he had seen Clara) and no-one else. Lillian fell in love with him, too, and they were soon married.

.~○~.  

A decade passed, and Andreana just lost a war with a nearby kingdom. The new ruler wanted Clara as one of his wives. "I would rather die," Clara said; and her decapitation was decreed. The news reached Lillian and saddened her greatly. She immediately sneaked out of the palace and traveled on foot to the outskirts of Andreana— to the big oak tree in the forest by the sea.

"Tatiana, milady, please grant me one wish!" she cried, weak from the journey. It was the third mid-night of no food to eat.

The hole on the oak tree lit up with pink flares as the fairy flew out. "If this is about your sister's salvation: I am sorry, but I cannot change history. Or undo wishes granted."

"Well, I ask you of no such thing. I only want you to transfer my soul to Clara's body, and hers into mine before she is beheaded!"

"You are willing to change fates with a sister who was never one?"

"Yes."

"You are giving up all of your happiness for such an ugly soul?"

"It is true that I love my husband and my adopted children. But shall I live unhappily to know a woman whose very blood I share was killed though I could have done something? I cannot carry the burden of guilt all my life! Let me take her place! So then she will be happy."

"There is no guarantee to that."

"I can still have it tried."

"Very well. Your wish shall be granted." The fairy flew back in the hole. "Oh, Lillian, even the mirror of Queen Grimhilde would proclaim you fairest of all!"

Clara was sure of two things the morning she opened her eyes in response to Yermiyah's deep, steady voice.

"Andreana mourns for the execution of Princess... Ah, sorry. I shouldn't be reading this out loud in front of you, m'dear."

Feeling warm lips upon her forehead, she knew she was: spared; and it was in vain.

.~○~.  

The lonely fairy heard the sound of horseshoes angrily hitting snow-laden dirt. She briskly went out of her little abode and faced west where the sound seemed to be coming from. Little golden lights soon appeared in the distance and in no time a carriage was being pulled over in front of the oak tree. Out came Clara in the body of her sister Lillian, tears falling down her pale cheeks.

She collapsed to the ground, and screamed, "Fairy! Make me beautiful once again! Bring me back to my body! I'd rather die than be stuck in my sister's horrible physique! Bring me back! Bring me back!"

But Tatiana slowly retreated back to her little hole. Hearing the strike of axes against the ancient skin of the tree, she could only frown and shake her head, immensely wistful that despite of magic, she could not grant anyone to live happily ever after.