Minutes to count

A/N: The one we've been waiting for...maybe?! Argh, this one gave me such a headache, but it turned out alright eventually. At least it's massive!

Dedicated to jazzstardust always my number one fan girl and her lovely low-key Ursa Minor themed phone case. The first pic worked! So sweet of you to show me! <3 I'm so jealous! That's what I get for having an unpopular phone...

______________________________________________

Trish focused, tongue in the corner of her mouth. I watched in horror as the scissors slid dangerously close, tilting away my head. "Please don't cut away my ear!"

"Have a little faith, will ya! I used to cut my brother's and Adam's hair like all the time, you haven't seen them walking about without ears have you?"

I hummed, squeezing my eyes shut as I felt the cool slip of the scissors again. Getting rid of my too-long hair was the finally step of what had turned into some kind of mini-makeover. I'd joined Trish on a last minute shopping trip to Glen, picking up a shirt for myself while she tried out sparkly eye shadow for her own New Year's Eve festivities or something. Her eyelids twinkling as she finally spun me around in her office chair, pulling strands of hair on either side of my head, making sure it was even. Declaring I was all done. "Well if you don't like it, at least now you can see your face."

I spun back with my eyes still shut. Slowly cracking an eye open to peek into the mirror. Looked pretty ok actually. My usual style only shorter. I removed the dry towel Trish had draped around my shoulders. Brushed away some stray clippings from the new dress shirt. Maybe I should've waited with putting it on. I scratched inside the itchy collar. Undid the top buttons. Dark green/almost black. And black jeans to go with it. My reflection in the mirror looked older. More like a college intern than a high school weirdo. I pulled the hair by my ears. Maybe it was a little short. I voiced my concern to Trish who shot me down immediately.

"It's not. When a guy can tuck his bangs behind his ear we're closing in on heavy metal territory, and let's face it, no hot guys ever emerged from there."

Well I could still almost tuck behind my ear so it wasn't that short, Trish was actually quite good at it. She drummed her fingers on my shoulders all excited. "When I'm done with you you'll look hot."

"I don't want 'hot', I just want to look nice." I mumbled, fidgeting with a tiny Ziploc bag I'd picked up at the mall. Trish looked at me knowingly. "She's getting to you isn't she?"

She got a small silver jar from her desk and opened it, scooping up a blob. Rubbing it between her palms. "And now some of this."

"Ew, no" I tried to cover my hair with my hands. "No fucking styling products." I loaded the words with disdain.

"C'mon, just a little," Trish coaxed, prying away my hands. She combed her hands through my hair before smoothing it down. I patted my head suspiciously. Not that bad. My hair still felt dry, but it sort of stayed put. I wouldn't have to toss my bangs out of my eyes every five minutes.

"You do look hot though." Trish insisted as I returned to the tiny bag and changed the lip ring for a more discreet dark silver stud. Letting my sister dictate my life.

"You're not just saying that," I muttered.

"No, really you look like a rock star, like if I saw you at a party I'd be like 'who is this guy?'"

I smiled. "Didn't you say that's what you thought when we first met?"

She laughed. "Yeah, but it wore off pretty quickly." I made a face and Trish lit up.