Five: Oh, Nostalgia

"Here we are." Hannah sighed as she opened the only set of double doors in her small house. Her office was simply decorated: a fireplace against one wall, two matching couches facing each other with a coffee table between them, and a 'magic carpet' she'd bought at a yard sale when she'd first moved in. It was complete and comfortable, and had a welcoming feeling.

Stepping into the room, Wilson smiled. "Do I smell peppermint?" Hannah laughed as she entered after him and closed the doors behind her. She strolled over to the closest couch to the door and grabbed the lighter from underneath the middle cushion.

"Heh, yeah. It's the candles." With that, as if to aid her small explanation, she lit the six candles that were on the table, three on each side in perfect balance. She put the lighter back under the cushion, only to sit down right on top. Her cards were already on the table. "Please, sit," Hannah welcomed, motioning to the couch opposite of her.

Wilson did as she said and made his way over, resting his coat over one of the arms. "I must say, this is much more put together than your house in Philadelphia," he commented, and Hannah couldn't help but remember everything that had gone on in that old place. It didn't take long - in fact, their entire two year affair flashed before her eyes in seconds, leaving her with a slight unsettled feeling, but nothing more.

"Thanks," she stated distantly, seeming neither proud nor uncomfortable, happy nor sad. "Shall we begin?"

"Of course. I mean, that's what I came here for." Hannah nodded at Wilson's confirmation and took the cards from the box on the table before handing them to him to shuffle. Watching him do so was as mesmerizing as always. Most of her clients were sloppy or uncoordinated when it came to this part. However, she had to admit, her set of cards were larger than others she'd seen. Not in quantity of course, but in size; they were able to fit perfectly over her hand with a couple of inches to spare.

Hannah smiled as James handed the cards back to her. "What do I need to know about my friendship with House?" She looked up at him with confusion as she flipped the three cards. Noticing her look, Wilson rolled his eyes. "I'm not gay."

"I know," she sighed, looking down at the cards, "but he thinks so highly of you. Why would you worry?" That made his look away.

"I just... Have you ever had those feelings where you can be so close to someone, but you can just tell they resent you for something?" Hannah nodded, piecing together the meanings of the cards. In this layout, she was using the 'you, me, us' method. The first card would represent House, the second, Wilson, and the last one would sum up their overall situation.

Hannah sighed looking once more over the cards. "The first is the Hanged Man. House feels some sort of shame, like a loss of ego or self-esteem. Has something happened that could change the course of his life? A, uh... I remember him thinking of a 'Stacy'?"

"So that's what this is about!" Wilson seemed relieved as he leaned back against the couch.

"His ex?" Wilson nodded. "Sorry about this," Hannah muttered, then broke the promise she made long ago and intruded into his mind. "You were the one who officially brought her back into his life. Ooh, a lawyer, nice!" she smirked a bit, letting out a breathy laugh as she stated what she read. Wilson looked violated. How ironic.

"You said you'd never-"

"That was when then, this is now," Hannah cut his sentence off before continuing on with the interpretation. "The second card is the Three of Cups. It represents you. Basically says that you cooperate with him regardless of what happens. This comes as no surprise: you're discerning and altruistic. You've hardly changed haven't you?"

Wilson laughed a bit and shook his head. "Neither have you, Hannah. You're brilliant, yet here you are, still reading your cards. You were in med school, how could everything go so wrong for you? You didn't deserve what happened to you." Hannah tried not to blush, but it was hard. Nobody had ever told her she was brilliant; she only got either 'life saver' or 'spawn of Satan'. She minded neither.

"And look at you," she smiled sheepishly, "after all these years of visiting me for readings, I'm surprised you're not doing it for yourself. You've must have gotten every card in the deck at least once!" They both shared a short laugh at this.

"Hannah, I - You know me, I could never do this. Especially not as good as you. Besides, my wife would kill me!" Hannah raised an eyebrow. "Not literally, of course," Wilson corrected himself.

Before he could continue speaking, Hannah cut him off. "Finally, the last card, Justice, means that your relationship with House is fair and balanced - you're equal with each other. You have nothing to worry about, James." He smiled as she finished speaking, and it was returned.

"Thanks, Hannah. This really means a lot. That you'll still do this for me, I mean. After everything..."

"I know, James. It's no big deal, really. Whatever was there is gone now." Hannah sighed gathering the deck back together and placing them back in their box. Wilson stood, and so did she not long after. They walked to the door together, being sure not to stand too close to each other. What she said was true, but did she want it that way?

Hannah stuck out a hand for Wilson to shake, but he took her by surprise when he instead pulled her into a hug. "Thank you, again. It was worrying me, about House. I was afraid he'd manage to get me fired or something of the sort." Hannah laughed as she back out of the hug, trying not to linger in fear of growing too close again. One hug could do so much if the right kind of history was there...

"Really, it's no problem. Don't hesitate to make another appointment. Until I can find a part-time job, my door will always be open. And if anyone from your team needs assistance, and they're not afraid of the 'supernatural' or whatever, feel free to send them on over. Free of charge, for the first time, too." Wilson nodded, silently accepting her offer.

He reached to open the door, but stopped, remembering something. "That's right," he pulled his hand back from the door handle, "how much do I owe you?"

"I just told you, the first reading is free." Hannah smiled at him. Confusion was written on Wilson face.

"But-"

"This is your first formal reading, as far as I'm concerned. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, Wilson." The chuckled a little at Hannah's words before finally opening the door.

"Alright, I'll call you when I need you."