seventeen

seventeen

Luke gripped the steering wheel and clenched his jaw. "I'm so pissed at you right now."

"I literally did not do anything," Michael defended from the passenger seat.

"Our daughter is in a fist fight and you're telling me it's not your fault."

"Exactly! It's about time you get it!"

Luke rolled his eyes as he stopped at a red light. He rested his hands in his lap and he tried to get his breathing back to normal. "I don't even know what to say to you."

"Say nothing," Michael groaned. He leant his head against the window, not in the mood to deal with Angry Mom Luke.

"Do you think it's okay for our nine-year-old to be beating up students? I don't think so!"

"Of course I don't, Luke." He gripped tightly onto his own knee, trying not to lash out at the blonde. "Let's just pick her up then let her talk. Don't just start screaming. Maybe it was for a good reason."

"Almost breaking someone's nose is never a good reason!" Luke's voice was hoarse, he's been screaming at Michael since they got the call ten minutes ago.

"Just stop, please."

Luke grumbled incoherent words under his breath as he drove the rest of the way. It was like as if everything in his life finally started to settle down and Satan just needed to throw some more shit at him.

They got out of the car, walking up the front steps of the charter school. Michael stepped in front of him, holding the door open for his husband.

Luke didn't thank him, he just kept his head down and entered the air conditioned building. It was only a few months into school and Tab already got in trouble. Tab was never like this, she was always the silent one painting in the corner or reading a book.

The most trouble she's ever gotten into was for reading instead of listening to a math lesson.

Luke stopped at the office, greeting the principal that was already waiting for them. Luke knew the administrator was judging Michael by his body littered with ink and fresh piercings in his eyebrows and lip.

Luke wasn't in the mood to defend Michael.

Tab was sitting on a wooden bench, her head down as she looked at her lap. Her arms were crossed over one another and pressed tight to her torso.

Michael sat down next to her, not saying a word. Luke and Tab's principal lowered their voices as they obviously had a serious conversations. Michael probably should be apart of it, but he wasn't.

"Mike, why don't you take Tab to the car?" Luke turned around, giving his lover a look that meant he had no choice.

Michael stood up, reaching out his hand to grab Tab's. He lead her outside, swinging their hands back and forth once they were out of Luke's eyesight.

"Is Dad mad?" She asked quietly. The grass was dry and crackled underneath her black Vans, Mike realized they were pretty much wearing the same outfit.

He really hoped Tab would never become him.

"Yeah, he's pretty pissed. I think it's at me, though. He's gonna take it out on you." Michael got to their car parking spot, realizing he didn't have the keys nor remember the pin-code on the side. He stepped back, lowering himself to lay on the ground.

He patted the spot next to him, inviting his daughter to lay with him.

"I didn't mean to, it just—."

"I know, Tab. It just happened." Michael looked up at the blue sky, puffs of white clouds hanging high in the chilly air.

Tab copied his position, putting an arm behind her head, another in the grass. "I'm sorry."
"When your father comes out, let him yell. Don't argue nor defend yourself, just let him yell it out."

"Does he yell at you?"

Mike laughed. "Yes, Baby Girl, all he does is yell at me."

She rolled onto her side, cuddling into his chest. "I love you, Daddy." Tab didn't know how she lived for so long without Michael in her life. She stayed strong—much more strong than any child should have to stay. She hasn't realized yet that Luke's neglect and Michael's absence ruined her childhood.

"I love you, too," he said, reaching an arm around her. "Once we get home, go up to your room and just stay there. Paint or something, anything to stay quiet. I'll get your father calmed down and everything, okay?"

"Are we making a game plan?"

Mike smiled. "Yes, we are. I've known Luke my entire life, I know how he's going to react. I know his moves before he can make them."

"That's amazing."

Michael looked down at her, the top of her blonde hair tied up in a pony tail. Michael wasn't sure if his and Luke's relationship was 'amazing'. He didn't think it was, he was pretty sure Luke didn't either.

Their lust of ten years turned to hate. 

(a/n) i'm not sure you all caught it in the last chapter. ashton, who was luke's friend, is actually michael's coworker in the gang/mafia type thing they're running. so, yeah.