Chapter 7

I woke up with my head pounding in a brightly lit white room. I tried to move my head, but I couldn’t. I tried to move my back, but I couldn’t. I tried to open my eyes. I couldn’t. I attempted to open my mouth to scream, but the scream only sounded in my head, and then I was being pulled under, pulled under until everything was black again.

I next woke up two days after that. I could vaguely make out somebody talking next to me. “…so we put her in a medically induced coma for a few days.” Said the voice. “But she’s well on the way to recovery now.”

“How did…how did it happen?” came another voice, that sounded identical to Mrs Mosses. “Conifferous.” Murmured the first voice. “You really should be careful about what plants you lay out for your lessons, Mrs Moss.”

“It wasn’t her fault.” I heard myself say. My voice was gravelly, but the people seemed to have heard. “It wasn’t her fault!” I said, powerfully. “It was Amy Stone. She stole the Conifferous from the study of plants class. I saw her do it! I SAW HER!” I was beginning to shout now, my voice becoming dangerously loud. “Now, now, Miss Greenleaf.” Spoke the man. “You’ve been unconscious for a few days. You must be very confused. Why don’t you get some more rest?” But there was nothing I didn’t want to do more. “I’m fine!” I snapped. “Amy did it! Trust me!” The man, who I presumed was a Doctor, was shaking his head. “Go back to sleep, young lady” he smiled. “You’ll feel better later.”

“No!” I screamed. “Ask the plants teacher! Ask if two strands of Conifferous went missing that lesson. Ask her! I’m right! I know I am!”

“And I am awfully sorry, Miss Greenleaf” said the Doctor, as he plunged a needle into my arm. I began to scream as I entered that deep black hole again.