Chapter 9

Unfortunately for me, the first lesson of the next day was Swordsmanship, and I had already agreed to go with Cato, so there was no way out of it. I was hoping that he wouldn’t make much of an effort to talk, which would make him much easier to hate, but that wasn’t happening. “Clove…?” he asked tentatively. “Are you…are you okay? I am really sorry Clove.” He whispered meaningfully. And in a way, I knew it was true. Swordsmanship was Cato’s best lesson, yet he wasn’t playing at all well. I had even managed to beat him in one duel. “I am truly sorry Clove.” He whispered. “I believe you now. Honestly.” I turned round to look at him, and gave him a quick smile. “Okay.” I whispered back. I mean, how long could I really stay mad at this super-hot guy? “But on one condition.” I whispered. “What is it, Clove?” he replied. I opened my mouth to tell him, but then the bell went for the end of the lesson, and there was no way I could possibly say it where anybody else could hear. I gathered up my bags and made my way to the next lesson.

During the rest of the day, there was no opportunity to talk to Cato. The lunch hall and corridors were too busy. We didn’t sit together in any other lessons that day. Amy had started shooting smug looks from across the classroom. She had heard of my accusations, but, of course, had denied them. We were the only two that really knew the truth. I trusted Cato that he believed me, but he still hadn’t BEEN there, hadn’t SEEN it be done. I was the only one who had seen that.

Last lesson that day we had something that we only had once a week, and as I had been in hospital for a while, I hadn’t had it yet. It was called Etiquette, and we were supposed to be coached on how to be polite, friendly, funny, and likeable and just generally get sponsors. I was late, but delighted to see that Isobelle was the only one without a partner. FINALLY I would get to talk to this mysterious girl whom I was fascinated by.

The lesson went by very fast. At first Isobelle was quiet, but as the lesson went on she got chattier. I found out that she had five siblings, no dad and a mother who barely worked, so she had to take a LOT of Tesserae this year. I felt really bad for her. I had just started my walk through the park when I heard a familiar voice behind me. “Wait up, Clove! We need to talk.” Of course. Cato. It had been preying on my mind all day. “So...” he drawled as he got closer to me. “What is this mysterious condition that I have to agree to to earn your forgiveness?”

“Cato” I murmured urgently. “Keep your voice down!”

“Oh, sorry.” He whispered, and then pulled me behind a tree. “There. Now we can’t be heard OR seen. Spit it out, Clove.”

“I need you…” I said slowly. “To keep on pretending that you saw Amy put those stalks in her pocket, even though you didn’t. Otherwise…count our friendship as over.”