Chapter 8

They discharged me from hospital a couple of weeks after that. I kept telling them that it was Amy’s fault, that Amy stole the stalks, but nobody paid any attention to me, and Mrs Moss looked set to lose her job. But then, something strange happened…

It was exactly three weeks since the incident had happened, and even though the Doctors claimed that I was fully recovered, still, nobody was listening to me. I was sitting in my lesson, bored out my head, when I saw the headmistress, Mrs McHeal enter the classroom, and quietly whisper something in the teachers ear. He sighed, and then nodded. Mrs McHeal gave him a quick smile, and then headed over to me. “Miss Greenleaf” She whispered. “we need to talk.”

She took me up to her office, and much to my surprise, I found Cato sitting there in one of the disgusting plastic grey chairs too. He looked up and gave me a quick smile. Funny, I hadn’t even noticed his absence from class. I opened my mouth to question what he was doing there, but Mrs McHeal cut me off short. “How are you feeling, Miss Greenleaf?” she questioned. “I…’m ok…” I answered, confused. “Good. Now you have been claiming that Mrs Moss was NOT responsible for your accident, and that is was indeed a girl who goes by the name of Amy Stone. Is that correct?” I nodded. “Well at first we didn’t choose to take your accusation seriously. You were concussed and, well…you and Amy are known enemies. But we have had…a second witness.” She fixed her beady eyes on Cato. “Mr Jet here also claims that he saw Miss Stone put that plant into her pocket, which means that we will take your accusation much more seriously.” I gawped at Cato. I had seen him, his heard turned directly away from Amy, standing at the back of the classroom whilst she slipped the plant into her pocket. Why was he doing this? “We will inform the Peacekeepers, and let you know whether they decide to make a full inquiry or not.” Said Mrs McHeal. “You may go.”

I sprung out of my chair almost immediately, grabbed my bag and began to run down the corridor. “Wait, Clove!” I heard Cato call. “Wait up!”

“What do you want, Cato?” I sighed. He caught up with me and grabbed my hand. “I know what you’re doing, Clove.” He whispered urgently. “What?” I began, but he cut across me. “I mean look, you and Amy got off to a real bad start. She was mean to you. I don’t like her. So I’ll help you with your plan.”

“What?” I stuttered. “You know”, grinned Cato. “To get her expelled.” The impact of what he was saying hit me, and I gasped. “You don’t mean…you think…you think I’m lying to get her expelled?” I whispered. “Well, sure.” Frowned Cato. “It’s kinda obvious you know, Clove.”

“I’m not, Cato, I’m not!” I screamed. “How could you think me capable of doing something like that? How can you not trust me? I thought we were friends, Cato. You trust your friends.” I spat, and then marched off down the corridor, leaving a confused Cato standing right behind me.