⑪ Onze - Anatolia, there's something in the dark

I felt a sense of foreboding as I walked down the stairs, each step creaking as I planted anther foot. Sunlight shown in through the large windows overlooking the landing, but the orphanage remained grey. There was a coldness in the air, one I could not explain. It wasn't unlike the one I felt last night, though this had a different effect on me besides fear.

I took my time, descending slowly, and watched as Mrs. Pam walked by and down the hall to the left. Her shoulders were slumped and she acted tired, I caught a strange look in her eye, but nothing I could explain in words. A dark liquid slid down her fingers and dripped down onto the wooden floor, she seemed desperate to wipe it off as she rubbed her hands harshly against her white apron, now stained with the liquid.

I stopped moving, taking in a deep breath, I considered returning to my room before I concluded that that might not be the best idea. My tummy rumbled and I subconsciously patted my belly to calm it, "You're late, breakfast is over"

I looked up towards Tom, who had his hands in his pocket as he stared down the hall Mrs. Pam had just gone down, not bothering to look my way. "I wonder what's wrong with that" He tilted his head in question.

"That? What's that?"

"You don't see?"

I jumped down, skipping the last 3 steps, and landed with a loud thump, leaving my arms outstretched for balance. Tom jolted, and brushed off some dust that had flown onto his left sleeve. "Sorry, sorry"

A couple of children ran by us towards the mess hall, but seemed to slow down into quiet footsteps as they neared it's doors. I noticed the girl who'd been picked on by Billy the other day was apart of the group, and had her black hair braided back with a single red ribbon today.

I watched the girl slowly reach out her hand towards the doorknob, I could hear the other children beckoning for her to turn it - to go in, not to be a "chicken". As soon as she touched the doorknob the children shrieked and quickly rushed off further down the hall, leaving the girl clutching tightly onto the handle. Her hands shook, I watched a bead of sweat drip down the side of her face, and her bangs began to stick to her forehead. "Who is she?" I asked Tom.

"Anatolia, they call her Ollie"

I whistled in mock awe at her name, watching her eyes flash left and right, meeting my eyes for only a second before hers widened in fear. Her hands quickly let go of the door and she made a clumsy rush further down the hall, tripping on a rug, and then throwing herself into the sanctuary of the nearest lavatory, slamming the door shut behind her. "Sounds foreign"

Tom had been watching too and was staring intently at the slammed door, "Turkish, I believe"

I had kept my arms up, flapping them up and down occasionally as I stood beside Tom, feeling silly, but preferring to keep myself moving rather than standing cold still like Tom; I was happy to sacrifice appearance for comfort. "I could eat a turkey..."

Tom sighed before reaching into his pocket and throwing me a round wrapped object, "I'm sure if you continue to flap you arms like that you might even turn into one... Someone will then surely come along and pity you enough to cut off your head for a roast. How exciting."

I caught the object, which emitted warmth and the scent of butter. "Ouch at your comment, but thank you... for the jacket potato"

"I dropped it, but I'm sure you don't mind."

I kept away a frown and watched Tom's receding back as he made his way down the right of the hall, and then casually entering the mess hall. I wonder...

Pealing off the napkin, it revealed the warm jacket potato, which blew steam in my face as it was let out. As I turned the potato round in my hand, inspecting it, I couldn't find a single fleck of dust or dirt.

I took a nibble out of the potato and it tasted like a good ol' jacket potato.

I continued nibbling the potato as I walked down the left hall, following where I had seen Mrs. Pam skulk down earlier.

As I walked down the hall it seemed to get colder and colder. A putrid stench could be smelt, emitting out of the rooms as I walked by. The once tightly shut doors were swung open as if someone had violently entered or left, perhaps... every single door was the same, and I kept on walking, quickly peering into each room as I did.

The hall seemed never ending, but I knew it had to end somewhere... somehow. Though I've only been here a few days, I hadn't once seen a single child walk down or through this hall, and I've found it strange... it had also been the first time I'd seen Mrs. Pam walk down it, or anyone, for that matter. "It's where the adults go to hide"

I paused and took another nibble out of the potato before looking back over my shoulder at the voice of another young girl, "Ah... Anatolia, what are you doing here?"

"You're not suppose to be here"

I shrugged and turned my head back down the hall. "I don't care.... Unless, you can tell me why I should?"

"Nobody's suppose to be here"

I spun around to face her, and noticed she lowered her head as I did. I observed her carefully as I made my way towards her. She had enviable thick black lashes... a mole just above her left cheek, and a fine light brown complexion. She was quite enviable, indeed.

As I stood in front of her she gulped, and her stomach gave a loud rumble as she glanced at the potato. I furrowed my brow quizzically, and in slight annoyance. "Why are you hungry?"

She blushed and sunk her head lower. "Why. Are. You. Hungry."

She remained quiet, shivering silently in the grey. "Are you not going to tell me?"

I sighed, and tucked a strand of black hair behind her ear. "You're scared, I can understand"

I wrapped the potato back into its napkin and pulled open the pocket of her dress. "Don't let anyone see"

I dropped the potato into her pocket, but she continued to keep her head low. "We can't be here"

I let out a hollow laugh, "And are you going to tell me why?"

"The adults come to hide"

"You've said that, you've got to give me more than that"

"Mrs. Pam is hiding... she is-"

The creaking of wood further down the hall caused Anatolia's head to shoot up. Her body shook with fear and her wide brown eyes kept glancing between the darkness and me. She began to panic and her breathing became quick and short as if gasping for air - begging for it in her lungs. I looked over my shoulder but saw nothing but darkness as the creaking became louder... louder, louder, and closer.

I grabbed onto Anatolia's arm and made a quick dash for the nearest room, which was to my left. The door was already open, of course, and as I entered, the stench I had only been faintly exposed to earlier became overwhelming and vile. The smell was all around us and I struggled to breath as I clasped a hand around my mouth and nose to try to keep myself from inhaling it. I couldn't explain it, but I could easily imagine a room stained with human feces that had been left - just left, to rot and defile it's surroundings.

I heard Anatolia gagging and immediately looked for a place to hide as the creaking now sounded only a room or two away. "Anatolia, cover your face, use the napkin around the potato" I whispered harshly as I shoved us both into a cabinet beneath a shelf of rusted old dolls.

Anatolia pushed herself into the corner, as far as she could go, and made herself as small as possible. She clasped the napkin against her face, and left her fearful eyes staring widely... staring widely at nothing.

We listened as the creaking stopped, right outside the entrance of the room.