Chapter Eleven: Dinner Date

~Chapter Eleven: Dinner Date~

Spring break ended without a hitch. Classes started again on Monday and, luckily, there were no quizzes or last minute homework assignments. It has been a relatively simple start to the week. And the best part of it all is, I have only seen Ryland once since Saturday; it is currently Tuesday.

He came over to my cabin for a few minutes on Sunday morning to tell me that he would be busy keeping his brother out of trouble and would be unable to visit me for a couple of days, but wanted to let me know that it does not mean he is giving up. I do not see the point of going out of his way to tell me that, as I already knew he would not give up so easily. Ryland is a cat, after all. Besides, he could have picked up a phone instead of his car keys. Maybe it is a mate thing...

Thunk!

My mind returns to the present as I release a very loud exclamation of pain and drop the hammer in favor of my throbbing thumb. I proceed to dance around the wooden post I have been hammering a sign into as I hold my thumb and practically sing a long list of curse words. It may not cure my thumb, but it certainly makes me feel better. Note to self: do not think and hammer at the same time.

After another moment of gently holding my damaged finger, the throbbing dissipates and I am able to let it go. However, I do not immediately pick up the hammer. The 'Private Property, No Trespassers' sign is hanging upside-down from the wooden post, but I really do not want to look for the nail that fell into the grass right now, nor pick up the offensive hammer.

Now at an impasse, I turn around with the intent to leave, only to walk right into a tree and fall backwards on my backside. Only, I clearly remember there not being a tree here. And what tree has well-toned muscles? "How on earth did you sneak up on me?" I demand, staying on the ground for a moment. To stand up would mean leaning closer to Ryland, even if just for a moment, and I would rather not.

"The wind is a powerful ally," the lion says with a grin. I eye the trees, taking note of how they are blowing towards him, not me. It is not very strong today, which is why I did not notice it before, but it is enough that being downwind would make it easy for him to get within a few feet of me without me smelling him. But what I really want to know is how I did not see him while dancing around the post. "Every time I see you, it is like you find some new way to tempt me."

I turn my head to look at him, at a loss for his meaning, "Huh?"

"You are not wearing a shirt," Ryland says, gesturing at my bare chest.

Right. It is not extremely warm out today, but the sun is rather bright and I did not want to get terrible tan lines in the shape of a baggy t-shirt while putting up the signs. I am hoping that, by doing so, I can make my property a safe zone that I can shift in at any given time without having to worry about pesky hunters.

"And? It is not like I have boobs," I growl, forcing myself to turn my back to him so I can pick up the hammer. It may seem like I am doing so to fix the sign, but it is actually the only real weapon I have against the lion without my claws and fur.

"That changes nothing," he replies. I can hear Ryland move towards me as I crouch down to find the missing nail, and prepare to swing it at him with all my might if he so much as touches me. However, instead of touching me, he kneels down next to me, picks something off the ground, and holds out his hand, palm up to show the missing nail.

Snatching it from his hand, I mumble a quick 'thank you' before standing back up and hammering away at the nail to make the sign stay in place. Once it is stable, I stuff the hilt of the hammer into the back pocket of my jeans. "What do you want?" I ask, knowing that there must be some reason for him to be here at five o'clock in the afternoon and not with his troublemaker of a brother.