Chapter Thirty-One: Unexpected Outcomes

~Chapter Thirty-One: Unexpected Outcomes~

The last thing I remember about last night was collapsing on the bed. I did not even bother to take a shower before passing out. The meeting was supposed to end by ten, so that everyone could deal with jet lag and get some sleep before the meeting scheduled for the morning.

By the time we got out, it was twelve-thirty, because everyone had something to say, some point to make, some time to waste. It was the hardest for me, since I was the one who had to answer their questions or repeat certain parts of the information. Constantly. Most of their memories are as good as, if not better than, mine, yet they would ask me to answer the same questions, usually just worded differently. Even though a few verbal fights did break out, at least no one was jumping over the table or throwing chairs. That is probably the only highlight.

Thankfully, since enough people complained, the meeting will start at noon instead of eight. Now, everyone can catch up on their sleep and hopefully eat a large meal before they enter the conference room again. Maybe we will succeed in going a full hour without a fight this time.

My thoughts drift back to the present as Ryland moves in his sleep and his arms squeeze my waist, as if reassuring himself that I am still there. Even though I was the one to collapse on the bed, he was probably the more exhausted one. I noticed how he kept drifting off during the meeting, only to jerk awake whenever someone would hit their hand against the table or start shouting. We are so lucky the walls were soundproof.

I was a little surprised when I woke up in a different shirt and a more comfortable pair of pants than the jeans I had been wearing, but what surprised me most is that he did not appear to have messed with my underwear. The fact that he even dressed me at all is probably proof enough of how tired he was last night.

Poor, sleepy lion.

It is only nine, which means there is plenty of time for him to sleep in. In fact, I might even go back to sleep once I manage to escape to the bathroom. But first...

Watching him for any signs of waking up, I roll over so that my face is pressed against his chest. When he does nothing more than pull me in closer, still sound asleep, I press my nose against his throat and inhale deeply. It was easy to ignore simple biology when I hated him, but now that I only have to fight the truth when Ryland is awake, it is hard to deny that he smells really good. Especially right now, when he has not taken a shower in a full day and his scent is at its strongest. It would have been gross if he recently sweated, but he smells clean to me.

Ryland mumbles unintelligible in his sleep, making me pause, but when he stays sound asleep, I press a kiss to his exposed collarbone. For once, his dislike of wearing shirts to bed has come in handy. Since I cannot start anything even remotely romantic when he is awake – there is no telling what could start the mate bond – I will have to settle for being with him when he is asleep. It is hardly satisfying to my frenzy needs, but it does cool it down a lot, just by being near him. I can now see why he wanted to spend so much time with me after his frenzy started.

At first, when I was avoiding him, it became easier to hold out the longer I could not see him, but as soon as I saw him again on Friday evening, it felt uncomfortable to be more than a few feet from him. While I know for a fact that we are not mate bonded, it certainly feels like we are.

I kiss his jaw this time, careful to avoid his mouth. If I kiss him on the mouth, he will either wake up, or I will not be able to stop, which will sooner or later wake up him. Either way, he wakes up and catches me kissing him, which he will not let slide like he does with the rest of the unintentional hints I have given him.

Rather reluctantly, I free myself from Ryland's arms, feeling almost desperate in my need to use the restroom. Drinking four glasses of water during the meeting last night was not a wise idea, but it kept my voice from cracking and that is all that mattered at the time