Chapter 4

(Written half by Me and half by Sarah)

As we were walking, I was thinking, 'Why would Pony care if I was okay? We just met each other!' It kept my mind busy, not hearing the rest of the gang talking about me. They said how mysterious I seemed and Darry didn't know if he should trust me.

"So, Miranda, is it? Pony explained how you got here, and," He pauses, making sure I was listening. "We'll try our best to get you home somehow." I nodded again, my story sounded so stupid! Darry was unsure of me, why do I keep messing up my favorite book? Why can't they just leave me here where I'll always be happy... I then looked up from the stone I was kicking, and saw the whole gang staring at me. I saw in the distance the Curtis home, welcoming and warm. I reached up and touched my cheek, I was crying. I wiped away my tears and walked over to the car Soda and Steve were supposed to be working in. They immediately were at my side, and began to work on it, just like the movie.

"Do ya like cars?" Soda asked me. "Well, I don't know much about them and I'm fourteen and don't have mg license, but yeah I always wanted to learn how to drive." I explained, staring at the rusty car. He nodded his head and continued to work. No one else seemed to pay attention to me, I just stood up against the wall of the house with my arms crossed. Suddenly, Ponyboy walked up to me, he grabbed my hand and pulled me inside to his room. He sat me down on the bed then asked,

"So what's with all the bruises?" He sat next to me, waiting patiently for an answer. I was staring at my feet, but I felt his eyes burning holes into me. I pulled my hair back into a low ponytail and glanced at him. "Well, it's just some kids at school. There's nothing to worry about."

We sat there in silence for quite awhile, until he settled his hand on my knee, and since I've never been one for affection, or even had a boyfriend, it scared me.

"I am worried." He admitted, "Worried we'll never get you home to your family, worried about what will happen when we do get you home. Most of all, I'm worried that you won't love me back..."