Eight

It was of no real relevance, but Adrienne considered it a positive sign that Benjamin Sturm bore no resemblance to his late brother. He was polished and professional with a friendly light in his eyes and when he swept the three of them into his spacious office, Adrienne was pleased to find that she didn't feel uneasy at all.

"Coffee or tea?" he offered, gesturing broadly toward the machine in the corner. Regina was already over there, holding a paper cup beneath the stream.

Adrienne started in the direction of the machine but Marshall gave her arm a gentle push, indicating that he would get her a cup. Clumsily changing direction she faced her potential employer and smiled.

"Adrienne King," she introduced herself, offering a hand.

"Benjamin Sturm," he said, shaking her hand. "You may refer to me as Ben though. It's still incredibly odd to hear anyone refer to me as 'Mr. Sturm' and Benjamin was only ever my name if I was in trouble." He winked, circling around his desk and gesturing at the opposite chair. "Now, Gina tells me that you're a fantastic photographer. She also tells me she's largely filled you in on what the job here entails?"

"She's told me some," Adrienne said as Marshall pushed a paper cup into her hand. Regina continued to linger by the machine.

"The Mellow Isles Hotel is... well, it's one of my great accomplishments in life." Ben glowed with pride. "She started out as couple of rooms and impeccable customer service. Then my business partner came on board and she grew from there. Recently we've completed some renovations. We upgraded a number of the suites, added a second restaurant, and expanded the indoor pool, just to name a few. Clearly, our photos are now outdated. We'll need fresh ones. Now, normally my partner and I stick with a well established company, but Gina came to me singing your praises."

"I've only been in business a couple of years," Adrienne admitted. "However, my work is outstanding quality and my rates are hard to beat. I'm sure even a hotel as lucrative as yours prefers to save money when possible."

"Well, you're right about that." He smiled. "I do like the examples I've seen of your work. Now, here's where I must apologize as I had hoped to be able to offer you the job when you arrived. Unfortunately, though I've sent the examples and rates to my partner and I've yet to hear back. Without his approval, I can't tell you anything definitive."

"Understood."

"I should hear back from him by tomorrow. On a separate note, Gina has requested a room for you. This is not an issue as long as the hotel has some vacancies. If we fill up then you understand I will have to begin charging you for the room. I also cannot let your free stay exceed one month. It's policy."

"That all sounds good," Adrienne said. "So I should expect to hear from you sometime tomorrow regarding the job?"

"Yes," He nodded. "and I've already informed the front desk about your room arrangement. They tell me that they've put you in in room 146. Gina will be able to send you in the right direction. I do hope you enjoy your stay here. The Mellow Isles Hotel offers an experience like no other."

"Sounds like you pulled that straight from a brochure," Adrienne said with a soft smile.

"I did." Ben winked. "I promise it's the truth though."

He stood up, straightening out his suit jacket as he did so. He shook Adrienne's hand one more time and then ushered the three of them out the door as quickly and as warmly as he had welcomed them in. Once out in the hallway Marshall took a sip from his still steaming cup and looked at the door. He glanced at Adrienne and then at Regina.

"I know what you're thinking," Regina said, "and it's not an option."

"What?" Marshall yelped.

"Come here." Regina dropped her voice and pulled the group away from the door. She looked at Adrienne. "He's wondering why I don't ask my father for money. Maybe you're wondering that too. My father is not just going to give me that kind of cash though. He'll press me for information and then he'll get the cops involved."

"Which... we can't do." Marshall nodded. "Apparently everybody already knows this except for me."

"Yeah, well, we grew up in the real world," Regina said.

"I beg to differ." Marshall drained the last of his coffee. "I grew up in the real world. You two grew up in a primetime tv drama."

"This is your partner in crime?" Regina looked at Adrienne. "Couldn't do better?"

"I have two friends." Adrienne shrugged. "This one isn't pregnant."

"Ouch," Marshall said. "You two wound me."

"I'm kidding," Adrienne told him. She looked at Regina. "He may not understand my decisions but he goes with them. So yeah, I don't think I could do better."

"Well," Regina looked at Marshall with appreciation, "obedience is a valuable trait."

"Right, but I'm a man not a dog."

"Are you?" She giggled.

"Could you point us in the direction of our room?" Adrienne asked. "I'd like to settle in."

"Oh, of course, of course. Let me show you where it is. Maybe after you settle in we can talk a bit. Ray's associate agreed to come out here and talk to you in person. He wouldn't tell me anything more but said he was willing to talk to you so... I don't know maybe it's something useful."

#

Adrienne didn't know if the hotel truly offered and experience like no other, but the room was a promising start. In size alone, the space was impressive.

"Wow," she said, turning in a slow circle as she entered the room. "It's been a long time since I've been in a place like this."

"I bet I have you beat," Marshall said. "I've never been in a place like this."

"Never?" She unzipped the bag on her bed, ruffling through the contents for nothing in particular. "Not even once as a kid or something?"

"Nah, any time we traveled my mom liked to keep our costs low. That's not to say we never stayed anywhere nice--but the couple times we did it was because we had family putting us up in guest rooms. Nowadays I probably could afford a brief stay in a nice place but I guess I inherited her frugal spirit and I can't justify those costs."

"I could justify it," she said. "Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of cash to spare."

"Lucky for both of us, this stay isn't costing us a dime. You hungry? I read good things about the restaurants downstairs."

"Is it rude if we don't invite Regina?"

Marshall looked up.

"Might be."

"Oh." Adrienne frowned.

"But I'm okay with being a little rude if you are." He laughed at the expression on her face. "Do you want to get dinner?"

Adrienne considered the offer, brushing a hand below her chin. Before she could answer, there was the knock on the door. Adrienne rolled her eyes and turned back to her bag, resuming her idle rummaging.

"I'll get it," Marshall said loudly, walking over and opening the door.

"Hi!" Regina said brightly. "Have you two eaten yet?"

"Ah..." Marshall glanced back at Adrienne, who was slowly shaking her head.

"I have a friend for Addy to meet--about the situation. If you guys have eaten it's fine, but if you haven't I thought maybe we could all grab dinner and talk?"

"Well..." Marshall again looked at Adrienne, who was now lifting her shoulders in resignation. "No, we haven't eaten yet. Dinner sounds great. We could meet you at the restaurant in an hour?"

"Perfect!" Regina smiled broadly. "See you then!"

Marshall closed the door and turned around to face a very grumpy Adrienne. He shrugged.

"Sorry," he said.

"Yeah, yeah," she grumbled. "I'm sure you're sorry."