Twenty-Three

"Wake up!"

Adrienne heard the harsh command, punctuated by a sharp jab to the side. Gasping at the sudden pain, she tried to use her arms to push herself up but found their movement restricted. As her sense returned she became aware that her wrists were encircled in cold metal, her legs held tight together by thick rope.

She was stretched out on her back in a bed. Using her abdominal muscles, she levered herself to a sitting position to see who had barked the command. Johanna looked far less pleasant and ethereal than she had the day before. Today she was all human, all business, and she glared down at Adrienne with accusing eyes. Adrienne hopelessly jiggled her wrists.

"Whuztis?" she asked, her words coming out as a sludge.

"Oh, I think it's my turn to ask questions." Johanna sneered. "Who are you?"

"I said I'm Areen King." She spoke slowly this time, trying to enunciate her words but still finding her own name too difficult to pronounce.

"I know what you said," she snapped. "I'm looking for the truth this time."

"It is truth."

"Oh? Well, maybe you can explain the other 'Adrienne King' who showed up just hours before you did. She wasn't as lucky as you. I wasn't prepared. I had to bludgeon her. Who are you? Who told you about me?"

"I am Adrin," she repeated. "Why did you talk to me if you didn't believe me?"

"I'm no fool. I had to say something to keep you drinking." She leaned down so that her eyes were level with her hostage's. "It doesn't matter what you know anyways. I don't like killing but I'm clearly not above it."

She pulled a knife from somewhere and touched the blade to Adrienne's neck, just beneath the chin. For her part, Adrienne tried to keep her eyes open and her head up; it was proving to be a bit of a challenge.

"I swear," she said. "I am Adreen. I'll prove it... somehow."

"I don't believe you," Johanna said, pulling the knife away. "But I promise I'll find out who you really are. Maybe after you're feeling little more awake, hm?"

She pushed Adrienne's chest roughly so that she fell back on the bed. Adrienne let her eyes fall shut and her mind fall blank, listening to the rustling as Johanna shuffled out of the room.

#

"Wake up!" The same command, but this time gentler and said in an urgent whisper accompanied by vigorous shaking. Adrienne flailed, realizing her arms and legs had regained their freedom. Opening her eyes, she saw Marshall crouched beside the bed and looking at her with great concern. It was darker in the room now, late afternoon or early evening.

"Where did you come from?" she asked, bolting up and wrapping a grateful arm around his neck. She drew back and studied him. "How did you... didn't she lock you up as well?"

"She did," he said, "but she didn't have cuffs for me, just rope. I found a way to sever--well it's really not important. I think we need to get out of here for obvious reasons. Are you okay? Are you awake?"

"I have a massive headache but I'm okay. How do you think we should leave?"

"Honestly, I think we can take the front door," he said. "I'd prefer not to run into her but if we do... well, we're both conscious and mobile now. She can't take both of us in a confrontation."

"I feel like an idiot. You should never drink something a stranger offers you. I just thought we could trust her. I wanted to trust her. I wanted to trust Ray."