Nine

"I regret this already," Adrienne murmured as she and Marshall walked through the doors of the restaurant.

"You shouldn't," he returned, placing a hand on her mid-back. "It's just dinner. If you want you can just tune her out."

"I can't just tune people out," she said. "She'll know I'm not listening."

"No, I've seen you do it. You're really talented at staring into space and pretending you got every word."

"I don't do that."

"You do." He held up a hand to silence her imminent protest and walked up to the hostess. "We were meeting the other half of our party here. Has Regina Sturm arrived already?"

"Regina Sturm?" the hostess said, looking down. "Party of four? Follow me."

They followed the hostess to the back, winding through a labyrinth of tables. As they reached the back wall Adrienne froze. Marshall, a little late to stop his own momentum, held up a hand to keep from colliding with her back. She glanced back at him, meeting his questioning eyes.

She took a deep breath and with great effort propelled herself forward toward the chair that the hostess had pulled out for her. She felt Marshall settle into the chair next to her. She was seated across from Regina, but beside Regina was a face that was eerily familiar, the sort of face that would make a person think they'd seen a ghost. A few details aside, she could have been looking at her dear, late brother.

"Can I start you off with something to drink?" the waiter in the wings popped out to ask.

"Iced tea," Regina requested.

"Water," Marshall said.

"Water is fine," the stranger echoed.

Adrienne shook her head and looked down at the menu.

"I'll give you a minute to decide," the waiter said, "and bring you a water in the meantime."

He whisked away as Adrienne faintly nodded.

"I suppose I should introduce myself." The stranger's voice boomed as he stood and leaned across the table with a hand outstretched. "Archer. Archer Thomas. Is something wrong?"

"No." Adrienne shook her head. "No, it's just that you remind me so much of..."

"Raymond?" he supplied, returning to his seat.

"Yeah." She laughed nervously.

Marshall sat forward in his chair, surveying Archer.

"Sorry," Archer apologized. "I thought Regina would've mentioned. I worked with for your brother--often as a decoy. The resemblance... I know, but it's mainly a first impression thing. There are plenty of differences between he and I. You'll see them soon if you haven't begun to already."

"Of course," Adrienne said. "I was just... you caught me off guard."

"Sorry," Regina interjected. "I really thought that I'd said something."

The waited returned, sliding chilled glasses into place on the table.

"Ready to order?" he asked, notepad at the ready.

All four members of the group looked around, nodding and shrugging. They all provided their orders to the waiter and then watched him run off to the kitchens. There was a long pause in the conversation.

"Why did you bring him here?" Adrienne broke the silence.

"Well, because," Regina started, then halted and look at Archer. "Actually, why don't you explain?"