Chapter II[2021]

________________________________________________

OCTOBER 21, 2552 (03:32) [Military Calendar]

NEW TICONDEROGA, TARRAKUS, SECTOR 001

________________________________________________

Mercer sat silently, his face dimly illuminated by the blue hue of a tablet sitting in his hands. As his eyes scanned the text, he looked at the response to his resignation. In large bold black letters were the words: DENIED. However, below that was a set of new orders from Admiral Strickland. He was to report to her office for a new assignment.

As he continued to read his orders, he saw that his resignation wasn't just denied, but was being promoted to Commander. It meant two things; he was being assigned to a warship, or being requested to teach at one of the military schools that were dotted across Alliance controlled space. The latter was the best case scenario, while he might still be attached to the Navy, he at least would be passing is knowledge on to the next generation of Naval Officers. The former would be his worst nightmare.

Closing out the email, he saw another message pop up. Furrowing his eyebrows, he tapped on the screen and opened it:

Assignment update: Reassignment from HighCom to William Francis Gibbs, further details can be discussed with Adm. Strickland.

"The fuck?" Mercer mumbled. Opening the message he saw that the message was directly from Admiral Forest. He was managing the Spirit of Endurance's rehab and modernization at the William Francis Gibbs. "Oh no." He said, the assignment details hitting him in the face. "No. No. No. No. No" He repeated quickly.

Shooting up, he quickly ran into his office before opening a line to Admiral Forest's office. Tapping his foot on the ground, he glanced down at his watch and noted the time.

"09:32 Standard Military Time. Mean it's noon at Epsilon Ini." After a moment, he watched as a holographic version of Admiral Forest glowed before his eyes.

"I'm guessing you saw my message?" Asked Admiral Forest.

"Yeah, based on that I am being assigned to the Endurance?" Mercer asked quickly and to the point.

"I can't exactly disclose that, son."

"But I've been assigned ot the William Francis Gibbs. I am a naval officer, not an engineer." Mercer said. "So I am, aren't I?"

"As I said, I can't disclose that information" Stated Forest. Mercer pulled his chair out and sat down on it as he accepted the fact that he was being forced back into active service. Running his hand through his hair, he shook his head.

Looking up at Forest, he furrowed his eyebrow and looked up at Forest.

"So, who put my name in the candidate pool? Strickland, Hoshino, Burnham, or you?" Mercer asked, listing off the names of Admirals who have expressed interest in Mercer getting his own command in the past.

"I did." Forest blurted out.

"You bastard." Mercer agrily. "You knew I wanted out, I mean, ehll, I was the commanding officer of the Columbia, for what? Ten minutes?"

"Eleven." Forest said flatly. "And your a damn fine officer, John." As Mercer sat there in silence for a moment, he looked to the left and saw Sarah standing in the doorway. "Ah, Sarah, how are you?" Forest asked gently.

"Good." She said. Looking at John and Forest she looked at them confused. "Mind if I ask what you two are going on about?"

"I got promoted and it appears that I have been assigned to the Spirit of Endurance." Mercer said, looking at his wife. Furrowing her eyebrows she cocked her head to the side and looked at Forest before looking back at John.

"I thought you put in your resignation papers?" She asked.

"He did." Responded Forest. "But Command needs commanders. Plus, as my protege, it seemed only right to recommend the most qualified and gifted officer out there." Forest said.

As Sarah and Mercer sat there in silence, Forest rolled his eyes. "Look," He said. "The assignment you are being considered for is a short term assignment. A year at most and the goal is to have a permanent replacement in six months."

"A year?" Mercer asked. "I have been grounded for nearly three years. I mean, the boys I only ever saw them ever six months! I have missed out on half their life."

"Look, It's not an ideal situation. But we don't have any choice." Said Forest "I am not going to put this lightly, but we need you. The navy is desperate to get the 1st fleet back up to strength and get the replacement for the 'Columbia' into service."

"If I sign on for a year, will either transfer me to one of the military schools or to the Academy?" Mercer asked.

"I'll see if I can."

"Then I'll do it." Said Johnathan. "But I am not doing this out of loyalty to the Navy."

"Then who?"

"My family. I'd rather die fighting for what I believe, than to let them live under a fascist regime."

"Well, then I guess you'll get more information when you are briefed on your assignment. And Sarah," Forest said looking at Mercers wife. "It was nice seeing you again."

"You too." Said Sarah. After a moment, they watched as the hologram of Forest shimmered before vanishing in-front of them. "Well, that was... unexpected."

"I know." John said.

"Well, I wouldn't try and loose any sleep over this."

"You're right." John said as he stood up. "Look on the bright side, if Forest or my grandpa can pull a Hail Mary for me, I'll be out in a year."

"I know, but let's admit it. You were practically raised in the military." Sarah said frankly. "Plus, your dad served on the Excalibur, right?"

"Yeah, and he died on her." John said. "No one knows what happened to her."

"Well, I think your Dad would be proud." Mercer looked up at his wife and smiled.

"He would have." Said Mercer. Looking down at his watch, he shook his head. "Probably should go to bed." As they arrived in their room he looked at Sarah, he hair disheveled. Her nightgown wrinkled.

"I was thinking, we still have a few hours before I need to pick up the boys..." Sarah said, raising her eyebrow. Walking up to John, she gently ran her index finger down his shirt. "And have time for us time."

"Good idea." As she ran her hands down his abs he felt a shiver run down his back. Picking up his wife, he walked them over to the bed before gently placing her down at the foot of the bed. Pulling his shirt over his head, he crawled up on the bed and kissed her passionately. As she looked at him with hooded eye lids, she sat up and quickly took her nightgown off and pulled her underwear down before laying there bare. Kissing her passionately, he couldn't help but feel like he was a 23 years old and laying his eyes on her body for the first time.