Chapter VII [2019]

NOVEMBER 12, 2240 [08:20] (military calendar)

UEG – 77 HEAVY BATTLE CRUISER SPIRIT OF ENDURANCE

COORDINATES 993098.3487.998 SECTOR 515

Commander Barnes stood in the center of the CIC, looking at the various weekly reports from all over the ship. Engines were operating at peak-efficiency for as old as they were, they had finished doing repairs to Hangar Bay One, which was no longer usable, and med-bay had finished their report on the injured. A few were left with permanent disfigurement and disabilities, one was permanently removed from duty, as he had to severe of injuries to effectively continue his duties as an engineer. Specialist Kellen had been at work training him to be an effective communications officer, all he had to do was tap a few controls, which they managed through prosthetics.

Since the battle, the crew morale had been at an all time low as well. They were effectively ruffing it out in space, something no one wanted to do, all they had were each other, and the various observation decks. As a result of their predicament, Commander Barnes had allowed crewmen to use the now defunct Hangar Bay 1 as a gathering place. They had moved the old piano to there, set up a boxing ring, and one crewman had proposed to open the area to all non-essential off-duty crewmen, and he obliged. Commander Barnes knew what long term duration space flight was like, it was the most daunting of challenges to overcome, between the isolation, and lack of having a sense of direction to many was emotionally tolling. Then of course, he had to become relaxed on some of the standard protocols. Traditionally crewmen were not allowed to have illicit relations while posted on a ship – a rule he broke when he was younger, and human contact was a vital part of the human psyche. They all needed.

As his eyes scanned through the various reports, he noted that Chief Lawrence had officially completed installing the MAC Gun and was now fully operational. They did one test three days ago, and had to compensate for the power-drain, and to reconnect it to the hull. The damn weapon tended to produce enough kinetic energy that it sheared off part of the hull when it pulled away. So, this time, they attached it to the secondary hull, and build a housing around it, ensuring it was secure.

"Commander?" Specialist Kellen looked confused as they got a random transmission. "We're picking up what sounds like an automated distress beacon." Commander Barnes quickly walked up to it and grabbed the headset from her as he listened to the various tones being emanated from the other side.

"Run it through standard transmissions."

"Aye, sir." As she ran it through the ship's computer, it was something unexpected.

"It's a automated distress beacon all right. It has confirmation codes, CVN-10560-V." Commander Barnes looked at the confirmation code that it was sending out. The code was a slightly older long-range transmission, with a UEMC signature. Commander Barnes walked up behind her and leaned over her shoulder.

"Run it through the ships database." As the ship went to work decoding the transmission and ensuring full authentication, he got the answer he was looking for. "My god." Specialist Kellen looked slightly confused the ship.

"I thought she was lost with all hands."

"She was... All five thousand lost. She is the Endurance's sister ship. The Excalibur."

"You know this ship?" Commander Barnes nodded.

"It was my fathers." As he told the truth, it was like a kick to the gut. He got his fathers pins, and now he finds her. The Excalibur, with more than likely some of the crewmen on board. It was something he knew that was possible, it just seemed like a far-off reality to him. "Can you plot a course?"