Chapter 5

Everything sucked.

Minho had been going about his usual routine of bringing Newt his food and talking to him a little everyday, but it was throwing him into an existential crisis of sorts. He was actually starting to enjoy those times. Newt was actually quite nice and just a good presence to be around. It didn't make any sense to Minho though.

Minho was a vampire and Newt was a human. Simple as that. Minho's father had taught him ever since he was a child that human's were weak, feeble, pathetic creatures that couldn't fend for themselves. The Dark Days were what everyone called the apocalypse that began the reign of vampires as the dominant species of the world, dubbing themselves "Wicked". They began taking over as they grew in numbers and slaughtered humans by the millions. And Minho's father had been a large help in those killings of humans. Now, his father assisted in helping find what humans remained out there in hidden camps.

And the majority of humans called themselves Slayers, which was the vampire hunter rebellion that was determined to keep the human race going. Whenever a Slayer camp is found and raided, they almost always just kill the Slayers and kidnap the innocent civilians living under the hunter's protection to be sold as bloodslaves. But now, human's numbers were growing thin. There was approximately only 30,000 humans left in the entire world due to the careless murdering of them, and a new issue was about to rise due to it.

But the only reason Minho was showing this particular human mercy, was for himself. So he could get blood easier, and a bonus that he found was how much better it tasted this way too. He was only taking care of the thing because he wasn't going to easily get another blood source.

Although, ever since that one night Minho had taken advantage of Newt, he could not get the boy out of his head. And it wasn't only about the moans and the gasps now. He was actually wondering about Newt's well being. He found himself constantly thinking things like "I wonder what day I should take Newt to train." "Newt needs something with extra protein in his meal today since he hasn't had much in a few days." "I wonder if Newt needs another water to help his blood regeneration." And it was driving him crazy every time.

He was supposed to be doing all of this for himself! Not because he actually cared about the damn thing! As he kept thinking about as to why he kept having these thoughts he eventually realized. He did care about the damn thing. And the whole "nice guy" act was not near as hard anymore. It almost felt natural to be that way...The way he used to be before he was turned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Can I ask you something?" Minho asked as he turned his head to looked at Newt from his position at the end of the bed.

"Shoot."

"Why did you become a Slayer in the first place? I mean did killing vampires just sound like a fun thing because you hate them or what?"

Newt stopped eating and looked up at the Asian blankly for a moment. It had usually been Newt asking the couple of personal questions so he was a little surprised. He put his food aside and cleared his throat as he shifted nervously, "Well...I um... I was 12 when the Dark Days started. I lived with my mother and little sister, who was 6 at the time. We hid out in our house for weeks. I remember our neighbor bought us a load of canned goods and water and we boarded up out house then hid in the basement for an entire year. We never left the house, not once. Our mum was too afraid that the vampires would just happen to show up in that particular moment. But then the vampires finally reached England after having already taken over the entirety of North America. They started moving their wrath...It was only 2 weeks before they made it to our neighborhood and got into the house." He ran a hand through his hair and his face reddened a little. Minho could practically see the flashbacks through Newt's eyes.

"L-Long story short our mum was killed trying to protect my sister and I and we just narrowly escaped due to her sacrifice. So I took my sister and ran. We ran alone for at least another couple of weeks before we met with some other teenagers that had managed to escape and we all went into hiding. Eventually, we were found by a group of Slayers. And we were just barely alive. I bet we looked like vampires because we were starving to death and could hardly protect ourselves." He actually gave an empty laugh at the memory.

"Anyway...they took us in, took care of us and let us hide with them. They trained us as Slayers too, and about 2 years ago our leaders were killed on a Hunt. So we took over the camp. It's ironic almost... The teenagers that were probably the weakest people ever have taken over a camp of 800 people." He had gone far too into detail and he paled a little as he realized he was giving away too much information and stopped himself, feeling embarrassed. "I became a Slayer because I had to. It was the only way to keep my sister alive. And it was the only thing I could be good at that would help."

Minho was left speechless. Newt had been through so much more than he ever could have realized. He thought everyone became a Slayer just because they wanted to be a slinthead and complicate things for the vampires. He remembered the Dark Days much more differently than Newt did. He couldn't imagine going through all of that death and despair.

For him, the Dark Days were the good days. It was when his father finally stopped being so angry all the time and was actually happy. It was when his father promised him that one day, he too was going to be a vampire and no longer a disgusting bag of flesh. And when Minho turned 18, his father held to that promise, and he had been turned.

Minho actually felt sad for Newt. "I...I don't know what to say..."

"It's okay. No one ever does. At the Glade, what we call our camp, we all have a similar to that. Some worse than others. But it's our job not only to try to keep the human race going, but to protect all the innocent people who can't fight, who aren't Slayers. Like my sister,"

"I was stupid. I went on a Hunt alone even though our leader told me not to and accidentally lead a group of vamps back to the Glade. They attacked and killed several people while taking others as captives..."

"Including you..?" Minho said just above a whisper.

"Yeah...Including me..." Replied Newt as his gaze went down to his lap.

Minho was silent again, heart actually thumping with a hint of emotion. He genuinely didn't know how Newt had gone this long without losing it completely. He almost felt bad that he was doing all of this and tricking Newt. "What about your sister..?"

Newt's gaze stayed down and he sighed a bit, "I honestly don't know...In the attack the vamps tried to take her but I got our leader, Thomas to get her out of there. In all of that commotion and Tommy was carrying her off was when I got hit on the back of the head. Last thing I remember was being picked up as I could hear her calling out for me...I don't even know if she's still alive..." His voice cracked a couple times and now Minho felt really horrible. Newt obviously really cared about the girl, and here was Minho keeping Newt as a slave and making him wonder with that pain of everyday not knowing if she was still out there.

"What was her name?" he asked quietly. And Minho thought he saw a ghost of a smile cross Newt's lips just at the thought. "Evelyn...But everyone called her Eve. She's 13 now."

Minho sighed and finally looked away. There was a cumbersome and painfully protracted silence in the air between them before Minho finally spoke and broke it, "I'm really sorry..."

And Minho meant it. Not just for Newt's rough life that he had spilled. But for everything Minho had done to him personally. And was still doing...