Surprises

Crashing in through the front door, Lost snarled like a vicious beast, and stomped her way through the cluttered home she had just broken into. Her senses were focused completely on Kahlan- her scent, emotions, the tug of her being. Lost's tunnel vision led her down a set of rickety stairs, to the basement, and she puffed up at what she found. Kahlan was shackled to the floor, frightened and crying. Lost fell to her knees and immediately grabbed onto the cuff on Kahlan's left ankle. Kahlan gasped, and Lost stilled, thinking she had hurt her girlfriend, but then something cold and sharp slipped into the side of her neck. She slapped a hand over the puncture wound as she toppled to the dirty floor. The drugs taking hold of her system were weak, but strong enough to cause her to feel sleepy. She growled deep in her throat to try to combat the ink in her blood with her pure rage. She only fell asleep quicker, and with dreams of carnage.

-----

Lost came to with metal clasps on her wrists and ankles. She moved to touched her head and was confused when the chains binding her jangled, the sound making her ears ring. She recalled sprinting across the city to an old suburb, breaking into a house, and smashing her way to the basement. She had found Kahlan on the floor in chains, crying. In her rage, Lost hadn't heard footsteps behind her, and she hadn't expected a needle to slip into her neck.

But now with the drugs worn off, she was awake and ready to kill. She snapped the cuffs off her wrists then ankles, then moved to her knees to crawl to Kahlan. She barely registered the other woman trapped with them.

"Kahlan?" Lost breathed, her voice broken.

Kahlan snapped her head up, her eyes wide. She was sitting on her butt, her legs spread and crooked, her feet firmly on the ground. She wet her lips then squeaked, "My water broke."

Stunned, Lost shifted her gaze to the water soaking the floor. She hadn't noticed it at first, nor now, not until Kahlan brought it up. She swallowed dry and her jaw dropped. "I... I..."

Footsteps echoed, then the basement door opened. That whipped Lost out of her stupor and she was up the stairs in a second with a neck in her grip. She threw the man down the case without a second thought, smirking as he landed with a thud. He groaned and rolled, trying to lift himself up. He was surprised, but not deterred.

Lost stepped on his back to push him down, then she leaned over and grabbed the sides of his face. She pulled slowly to hear him cry out and to feel him wiggle. He was an ugly thing, further disfigured by Lost's imagination. He had taken what was hers and attempted to chain it. She wouldn't ever forgive him.

"Don't!" Kahlan cried out. Her breathing was a little heavy. "Lost, don't."

Lost let go of the man's head and it snapped so his chin hit the concrete floor. She didn't remove her foot from his back. "He deserves to die," she snarled.

"He..." Kahlan groaned softly, and Lost echoed it, feeling the beginnings of great pain as well. "Humans need... to defeat... their own monsters... Remember?"

Whining from the ugly sensations in her lower belly and her want to slaughter the man beneath her, Lost shifted her weight. But she made up her mind. "We need to get you to a hospital."

"I don't think I'm going to- ah!" Slipping down to her back, Kahlan gripped the sides of her stomach. Her breathing was definitely labored now. Lost went into panic mode and kicked the side of the man's head to leave him unconscious at the bottom of the stairs. She was at Kahlan's side in an instant, freeing Kahlan from her chains, then removing Kahlan's pants and underwear for the birthing to come. She gripped her stomach as well, the pain of labor hitting her viciously.