Chapter Twenty-Eight

There are, perhaps, two people in the entire world who can show up to the United States embassy in Rome, storm past the Marines on duty, and march up to the head of security without being shot dead somewhere along the way. There are, perhaps, two people who can claim that the Ambassador has been threatened, without presenting any evidence whatsoever, and still be taken seriously. There are only two people who could have done what we did that morning, and their names are Macey McHenry and Cameron Goode.

Sixteen entrances, locked down and guarded. Two-hundred employees, told to stay in place until given the all clear. Each radio was turned to the same frequency and each watch was set to the same time. Nothing worked quite as efficiently as an embassy under siege.

"The threat was made yesterday, overheard by one of my agents in France," Mom told the head of security—big guy with an even bigger mustache, and definitely not the type to tolerate nonsense. The two of them walked across red white and blue carpet, and I had to work to keep up. "The Ambassador wasn't explicitly mentioned, but you've got to trust me on this one, Gerry."

Gerry looked doubtful, like everything in his training said that this was a whole lot of fuss for a whole lot of nothing, but his gut told him that he needed to follow Mom's lead. "I trust you," he said. "But I've got to tell ya, it's not my favorite way to start a morning."

"I hear you," she said. "I hear you, I do. My team will do all they can to help."

That was when Gerry turned to look over his shoulder and I couldn't help but think that for the head of security, he was very bad at pretending not to look at me. "Yeah, but what are we going to do with those kids?"

Mom joined him in looking back at me, Alice just a few steps ahead. When she turned back, her lips were a hard line. "It's like I said. My team will do all they can to help—and honestly Gerry, you've got bigger problems than whether or not my personnel is capable of handing this situation. For example"—she spun, calling out to the guards who manned that great room—"has anyone found the Ambassador yet?"

She was met with a variety of, "No ma'am."

Ambassador Winters liked to start every day off with a run. It kept him in shape, helped solidify relations with the locals, and made him feel less guilty about the Italian croissant he brought home almost every day. Normally he would have security with him, but that morning had been one of many when Ambassador Winters had slipped out early.

Macey hadn't been surprised when she'd been told that he had ditched his security detail. In fact, I think she may have even expected it, which might have been why she was so prepared to pull together a search team. If anyone knew where Preston's favorite Roman destinations were, it would be her.

None of us wanted to think about who else might know where the Ambassador liked to take his morning run.

We rounded a corner, stepping into a corridor with high ceilings and golden walls. Woods, Ellie, and Luke were at the other end, headed straight for us. "Just the people I wanted to see," Mom said. "How's upstairs looking?"

"Secure," Woods told her. She and Ellie fell into step beside my mother.

Not Luke. Luke just kept barreling towards me.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me aside, leaving the parade of agents to march on without us. "We need to talk," he told me.

"Do you really think that now is a good time to—?"

"This might be the only time—"

He was cut off by the call of my mother. "Maggie," she said. "Stay close. I need someone to tell me if there are any signs of break-in."