Chapter 2.

Chapter 2.

One thing is pretty much clear - school or no school waking up still sucks. Big time. I am putting the entire blame on Hunger Games who triggered my disorder 'one more chapter'. I stayed up till 4 in the morning. When I heard the birds chirping I realised I had fucked up. I haven't even gotten any school work done in the past two days since the break and today was gonna be no different.

Delilah had called me in early today, she wanted me to open the shop and handle everything as she was taking a day off to visit her daughter and some relatives. So I dragged my ass out of bed my mom in the early morning hustle. I plopped on the chair in the dining.

I felt like a zombie and her fast movements were too much to register. Why couldn't my parents just take a day off? I know it was a huge responsibility, being doctors and all but still. Earlier, before Veronica left for college it had been easier, we kept each other company. It's like I never see mom dad for more than a few minutes. They're always busy. I didn't mind either and Now that I am thinking about it, it all seems wrong.

"I've put bread in the toaster for you, the bacon's almost cooked but I have to rush now. Eat something and please get this sink checked...." She kept droning on all the while grabbing her stuff her movements too speedy for my foggy, sleepy brain.

I didn't even realise that I was frowning. Mom stopped in front of me and kissed my forehead as if hearing my thoughts. "we're taking a day off before Thanksgiving too. I'm sorry sweetie." She smiled sadly.

Guilt swirled in her beautiful brown eyes as she looked at me. How could I be mad at her? So I hugged her middle, tightly, like I did when I was a kid, hands going around her waist and face pressed on her belly. "It's okay Mom." I whispered though I still was sad. She kissed the top of my head again and ruffled my auburn already tousled hair. I looked up at her and smiled. "Go save some lives."

"You bet." She said with a wink and left. "Dad will be back in sometime. He pulled an all nigther. Make sure he eats something before he sleeps."

I nodded and waved watching her drive away. I trudged upstairs to my room and stood near my bed looking at it with longing eyes. I'm stupid but not guilty. I sighed and walked to the bathroom and freshened up. I stepped out, heard a shrill blaring noise that triggered a headache.

Goddammit.!

That's when I realised that I didn't turn off the stove or the toaster. I ran downstairs, skipping every second step. The kitchen was in dense smoke. I quickly turned off everything and stepped outside to get some air. My eyes watered slightly. I looked back at the mess. The bacon was a charred black mass on the pan, similar to the burnt toast. There goes my breakfast, I thought dumping it in the trash. It smelled terrible. I opened the windows and doors to let the air out. I waited for dad to make an appearance but he was late so I texted him. I looked at the time and realised I was late. Ugh.

I absolutely hate being late. I called Dan wondering if he could drop me but it sent me straight to the voicemail. I rushed upstairs and got ready in a record time. I called him again but no answer. I wonder which hole he curled up and died in. Mentally noting to give him a hard time about it I put on jeans, a tank top and flannel shirt over it. I looked at my tired face, my green eyes making the bags under them more prominent. Hurriedly applying some concealer, I  grabbed my bag and tied my hair on the way into a messy bun.

I rushed to the store which is a good 20 minute walk from mine. It would've been so easy if Dan had recieved my calls. I could only wish for the day to get better but of course it won't.

I opened the store, taking in everything inside. The smell of books instantly calmed me, at least till a certain extent. I took a deep breath in and let it out. Changing into my work clothes I got to work. Same old stuff, arranging, reshelving, a little of dusting etc. Derek joined me soon after.