Chapter 9: Man Behind the Mask

Pietro had never felt so bad for someone else in his life.

He had to get the program to read it all to him, as he was illiterate, and everything he heard was heart breaking.

Clint had grown up poor, an abusive alcoholic father always beating him and his brother, Barney. His mother died at his pop's hands, and the brothers ran away together, finding a circus to live with. That's where the archer was trained, his marksmenship growing as he and Barney barely scraped by on what they were offered. Apparently, this was one of the less appealing parts on Barton's life. At least his shooting made up for his hearing.

"Wait, F. R. I. D. A. Y., repeat that last statement?"

"Which one, boss?"

"I heard hearing aid."

"Ah, yes sir. As his file reads, Clint Barton has an implanted hearing aid, made by Tony Stark to be invisible, but the size of the piece sometimes causes malfunctions, which results in a periodic shut off. This hearing impediment developed when-"

Pietro tuned her out, his mind already racing.

How many times had he gotten mad at Clint for thinking he was ignoring him?

Oh no.

"Clint's deaf?" he stammered out, a strong sense of guilt rushing through him.

"Yes sir. Among other flaws, Clint Barton struggles with his identity, and his membership on the team."

"I'm sorry?"

"Repeat: Clint Barton struggles with his identity, and his membership on the team."

"Elaborate."

"Clint Barton has privately expressed to Natasha Romanov that he does not feel like he is needed on the group, even though he has stated that he does to the others. He says that due to the fact he does not have a super special power and only has a common skill, he feels as though he is not needed to make the team work. These are extremely private thoughts, and should not be brought up in front of the other members."

Pietro swallowed the lump that had grown in his throat. He felt it lodge in his chest, his heart sinking down to the pit of his stomach.

He had to find Clint.

Before he dashed out, he had another thought. Clint had never told him any of these things, and something about that fact made him frown. He wasn't... trusted enough to know those things. Not that he had a right to be mad about that. It wasn't his decision to state which thoughts Clint shared and which ones he didn't.

Eh, who was he kidding.

Pietro had to talk to him about it.

He wasn't going to let Clint keep thinking that about himself.

Plus he had to apologize for all the times he had gotten pissed at him for not hearing.

Pietro bid ado to F. R. I. D. A. Y. and ran down the hall to the dining room, where he found Clint talking with Thor. Forgetting all social boundaries and the situation he was putting himself into, Pietro wrapped Clint into a tight hug before the man could even get out a hello.

"Pietro? Hey, it's nice to see you too, but...? What's this all about?"

"I am so sorry."

"It's fine?" Clint replied, confused. He gave the other an awkward hug back.

"I didn't mean anything bad, I swear."

"What?" Now he was getting concerned, the feeling scratching his voice.