Chapter 22: Fake (END)

No.

No. No. No.

Impossible. Absolutely impossible. There was no way in hell-

And yet, it was.

The machines plugged into his body beeped out a steady rhythm. His other eye slowly opened, his head pounding. Nobody was in sight.

"Hello?"

Nothing.

He took the IV out of his arm and got up, walking to the door and almost falling over. He had to use the wooden beams as support. He coughed, a splotch of blood falling onto the pristine white floors. He stared at it.

No.

"Hello? Can anyone tell me where I am?"

The whole place seemed silent. Anything and everything made it feel like he was being watched, but nothing was there. It was starting to freak him out.

He stepped into the hallway, the corridor unusually quiet. He could see someone down the way, a man about his height. He was thick around the arms, a bow strapped to his back.

"Clint! Clint, thank god. What happened? What's going on? Where is everyone?"

The man turned, his face furrowed in a frown.

"Oh. You finally decided to wake up."

Pietro returned the grimace with one of his own. "What are you talking about? Of course I'm awake. Why am I in the hospital? Where is everyone?"

"They're on a mission. They left me to watch over you."

"Why? Why wasn't I informed? What happened? I need to know. Please help me out some."

"Pietro, you've been in a coma for 3 months."

Time stopped. The runner couldn't breathe. "3 months? That's impossible, we were just about to... You mean that was all fake? A dream? A lie?"

"Listen man, I don't know what you're talking about, but all I've been doing lately is sitting by your bedside making sure your IV was still dripping. Wanda and I have been taking care of you ever since the battle in Sokovia. We managed to get you out of there and fix you up, but you were stuck sleeping for a while. Whatever you thought about while you were under probably didn't happen."

"No. No, I don't understand. You don't understand. Clint, I... I fell in love with you. We went on dates, we were going to get married for Christ's sake. How could that not be true? You can't just leave me like this, I can't handle it. Clint, please-"

"Pietro." The word was sharp, cold, calculated. It stopped Pietro's blubbering in an instant. "I'm sorry to hear all that. If you really want to, I'll take you to dinner or something. But none of that ever happened, and I doubt it ever will. I'm sorry."

"No... please..."

"You need to rest. You're hungry, yeah? I'll bring you something to eat."

Pietro almost whimpered when the other began walking down the hall. He reached a hand out to grab him, and his nails caught his shirt. He stumbled forward as Clint turned around, and he kissed him. It was long, hard, passionate, every emotion the runner had built up inside him pouring out of him like an overflowing sink. When he pulled away, Clint didn't look any different.

"Did that not mean anything to you?"

"Kid, I barely know you. I don't share what you have, at least not right now. Like I said, I'm sorry."

With that, he moved off again.

Pietro turned, making his way back to the hospital room. Every step felt like he was walking on knives. His heart was on fire.

He reached for the doorknob before he heard a voice call down from the other end of the hall.

"Hey kid."

He turned, almost falling over from dizziness when he did. He could make out Clint's solid frame, silhouetted behind a window with sunlight pouring through it.

"Yes?"

"When you get better, I promise I'll take you out. Somewhere nice. Sound like a plan?"

He almost choked when he replied. "Yes! Yes, that would be great. Thank you."

"No problem."

Before he could finally leave, Pietro called back out to him. "Wait! Clint, hang on."

"What now?"

"I love you."

The archer stopped, his hands gripping the railings so tightly that he felt his knuckles go white. He looked down at the floor before answering.

"You know, I guess I love you too."

When Pietro was finally back in his room, Clint slid down the wall and sobbed.

Everything that happened in Pietro's head had been heard by him. He spoke out his entire dream while he was in the coma. Clint had never left his side; he had heard every word.

He didn't need to guess.

He knew.

He knew damn well that he loved Pietro Maximoff.

He just didn't know how to show him.

He guessed he'd just have to see how his date goes.

Clint couldn't wait.

---------------------------------

Thank you guys so much for reading my story ! It's all done, this is the last chapter. I know it's short and sweet, cause I didn't wanna drag it out any longer. I really appreciate all the nice words people have said about this story. I love all of you so much ! If you want another hawksilver adventure, I've got a new story up, called I Never Learned How To Miss, so please read it if you want and COMMENT !!! I'm also working on a coffeeshop!au called Shots of Vanilla which will also be up soon. Thanks again !

~Lav