Up To The Mountain

The stream washed down as they followed along the plains up to the dark hazy mountains on the horizon that stood against the backdrop. Carl stared up at them with their jagged outline and ominous presence that he was walking straight into hell.

Becky and Tom led the way as they had done ever since they left the warehouse. Becky's katana blade was strapped to her back and little Tom had his death stars in his hands waiting and ready.

Both looked so unassuming and innocent. But the way they handled themselves against the walkers, Carl and Enid knew they were special. Carl wanted to follow them but was also wary and cautious. He kept his distance, at least a few metres back at all times, and he was ready with his knife and gun in case those kids turned on them at any time.

After the governor, it was so hard for Carl to trust. Enid too found it hard to trust, but she too was fascinated and wanted to know more. She had seen her family slaughtered by the Wolves right in front of her. These kids didn't seem like that though. They were clean and well-groomed. Wherever their camp was, it had to be good and it had to be safe.

Enid had her arm looped over Carl's neck as he supported her as she hobbled along. Bolts of pain still shot out every time she took a step and she leaned her weight on Carl who snaked his left arm around her waist to give her more support.

Becky and Tom realised they were a long way in front of them and turned around looking annoyed.

"Come on," said Becky. "You're really slowing us up. We'd be there by now if it wasn't for you."

"Can't you see she's injured?" replied Carl, stopping in his tracks and pointing down to Enid's ankle.

"You're going to get us all killed." Tom cried. "There's no room for the weak anymore. I say we leave them."

Becky put her hands up in front of Tom to calm him down.

"Now, Tom there's no need for that. I'm sure they have useful skills. We've seen them in the forest, remember? They're good."

"What do you mean you've seen us?" Enid asked looking both angry and confused. "You were spying on us?"

"We weren't spying on you." Becky replied. "We always come down to this forest. It's great for hunting. Where are you from anyway? You have a camp?"

"Yeah we do." said Carl. "It's a few miles away. It has walls and fences, a good watch tower, solar panels and a strong leader. It's almost perfect. How about you?"

"We have a place, we'll show you. I think you'll like it and fit right in."

"We've had a lot of bad experiences." said Carl. "What makes you so sure?"

"I'm sure you have. But this place is special. There is no other place like this. It is a fortress beyond all fortresses. You could settle down there for the rest of your lives."

"Why are you helping us?" Enid asked squinting one eye, suspicious of these kids.

"You don't need a reason to help someone." Tom said. "Isn't that how we used to be."

Becky and Tom both smiled warmly and Enid and Carl both smiled back. Carl and Enid both looked at each other and gave themselves reassuring but also worried looks. Enid especially was distrustful of people after seeing her camp ripped apart by the Wolves. Everything was torched and set alight and walkers were left to roam freely devouring everything in their path.

"What's with the numbers?" asked Enid referring to numbers engraved into their cheek.

"It's not important right now." replied Becky. "Come on, we'll show you our camp. It's a long way to go. We want to get there before sunset."

Enid tried one more time to stand on her injured ankle but after only two steps it completely gave way and she collapsed and Carl had to react quickly to catch her before she hit the ground.

Carl bent down and put his right arm underneath Enid's knees and picked her up and started carrying her again. Becky and Tom gave a thumbs up knowing that this would probably be a faster way of moving than Enid limping and having to stop every ten yards.

But Carl was tired too and hungry. He hadn't eaten properly since leaving Alexandria and carrying Enid's light, slender body now felt like carrying a ten tonne truck. Carl grimaced but he didn't want to say anything. He just bit his lip and kept walking on. They walked closer and closer to the foot of the mountains. What was once just a hazy dark outline was now an imposing presence in front of them. The stream flowed down from the mountain and Carl suggested they stopped for a drink.

Carl was exhausted and he dropped Enid to the ground rather ungracefully as his arms gave out on him.

"Ok, let's stop for five minutes." said Becky. "But no longer. We're almost there."

Enid sat up and Carl offered her some water he had scooped up in a cup. They both sat down and drank while Becky and Tom stood watching over them. Tom was getting antsy. He wanted to make a move before the walkers came. "Let's just go, Becky." he said quietly.

"No, no, we've come too far to help them. And imagine if we had abandoned some of the others. We wouldn't have a camp at all."

Carl and Enid couldn't hear their conversation and weren't interested either. They continued to drink from the stream and then they sat side by side. Enid put her arm around Carl and pulled him close.

"We'll be ok, Carl." Enid said quietly. "We'll just have each other."

"It's not too late to go back to Alexandria."

"No, I don't want to go back there. Wherever this place is, it has to be better than there."

Carl and Enid held hands and Tom stuck his tongue out and turned away. Becky giggled.

Carl knew he couldn't really go back to Alexandria now too. They had followed Becky and Tom for nearly a whole day from the warehouse now to the mountains. But the strangest thing was, they hadn't encountered one walker along the way. Carl thought they were starting to get lucky but perhaps that was too soon.

A walker climbed out of the stream and Enid screamed. Carl sprung up and put his body in front of hers protecting her. Becky took out her katana as three more walkers climbed out of the stream groaning and lumbering up the bank and staggering towards them.

Enid shuffled backwards but when she turned around, she saw three walkers just behind her. Becky counted, there were ten walkers suddenly all around them, they were surrounded. Carl saw the walkers coming towards Enid and he ran up and stabbed on in the head with his knife. The walker fell down on top of him and they both crashed too the ground. Carl couldn't get up from under the weight and Becky and Tom both sighed before readying their weapons. In mere seconds, Becky and Tom slashed through the walkers cutting their flesh up and decapitating them all one by one, hacking them down with no trouble at all.

And then they stood, not even breaking a sweat, with Carl and Enid down on the ground panting and panicking. They had never seen anything like that, not from two kids. How could they learn to fight like that? Carl thought.

Carl looked back at Enid who was still staring at them wide-eyed in shock. Becky then used her katana blade to cut the walkers more. She began to slice their skin off. Enid thought she was going to be sick. The smell was horrifying.

Tom helped peel skin off, ripping with his bare hands and then passing it over to Becky who draped the walker skin over her shoulder.

"Good thing these walkers came." Becky said. "We needed some fresh skin."

Enid mind went blank. Watching those kids slice and peel the walker skin and then wear it on their shoulders was too much for Enid to handle. She lost focus, eyes rolled back and she could feel everything get darker and further away as she fell back and fainted.