Last Day

I'm huddled under a blanket, sitting on the couch next to Drew watching Looney Tunes. The curtains are drawn in order to keep the morning sunlight from flooding through the window and washing out the light of the TV. It's the last day of summer, and seeing that I'm about to be sent to my doom, I see no reason to do anything that requires moving or being happy, and that includes going outside.

     I stare blankly at the TV, not really hearing the dialogue, as resentful thoughts float through my head. I mean, why did this happen to me? Why not somebody else?

     What's even the point of junior high? Is high school really so bad that kids need to go to a special school for two years just to prepare for it?

My silent brooding is interrupted when the doorbell rings. With neither of our parents home, it is up to either Drew or me to summon the willpower to get up and answer the door.

Drew half-heartedly mutters, "Not it."

I, however, am determined not to stand up for at least a few more hours. I huff sharply and pull the blanket over my head.

"Sarah, just get the door."

"Not until I can once again experience the blissful innocence of childhood. But seeing that such is no more than an illusion created by fairy tales and toy companies, I refuse to seek any false shred of happiness that may or may not come from leaving this couch. Therefore, you may answer the door yourself, dear brother, and kindly stop nagging me."

He groans and pushes himself off the couch and starts for the door, taking slow, small steps: most likely an attempt to make me feel guilty for forcing such an exhausted person to get up and walk twenty feet to the door.

     Behind me, I hear him open the door. "Hello?"

     "Hi, Drew!" Jamie's chirpy voice stings my ears almost as much as the sunlight pouring through the door stings my eyes when I turn around. "Is Sarah home?" She ducks her head into the house before Drew can reply, and sees me on the couch, with my Dorrito-stained sweatpants and disheveled hair. The sun lights up her new pink blouse and makes her golden hair glisten, making me feel even sloppier in contrast. But I only regret my appearance for a second, before remembering that putting such effort into a nice appearance is pointless, for we're all ultimately headed to our doom, anyway, and no amount of pink blouses or shiny hair will change that.

Jamie scans the hallway and living room, pretending not to see me. "Where's Sarah? All I see is a smelly vampire girl sitting on the couch eating way too many Dorritos."

I moan and pull the blanket over my head again. "Just go back to your make-believe dream world and let me sulk in peace," I moan.

Jamie proceeds to walk past Drew into the house, and seats herself on the couch next to me with no need for an invitation. "What's gotten into you, Sarah? Just a few days ago you were at the creek happily playing in the mud, and now it's like you've given up on life."

At first I feel the need to defend my rock search, but then remember that it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of me, anymore. "In less than twenty four hours, I'm going to be sent to Miss E's classroom and most probably my doom. Junior high is going to be nothing but pointless suffering. But I wouldn't expect you to understand. You'll have Mr. Mudville for English, so your life will still be wonderful."

"Oh, stop moping! Many have stayed out of Miss E's way and survived. And besides, I think I've found a way to get you out of that class."

At those words, I feel my eyes light up, beginning to see a shred of hope. "How?!"