9. Epilogue

I enter my English classroom, finally confident that I won't be turned into some small animal by the end of the day. I take my seat and notice that Billy's desk is empty. Strange. He's usually here by now, telling everyone some bizarre rumor.

     "Hey, did you hear about Billy?" The guy behind me whispers.

     I turn around. "No. What happened?"

     "I heard he got food poisoning. He probably won't be in school for the rest of the week."

     "Wow, that sucks. Do you think he'll be okay?"

    The guy shrugs. "Probably. But it's kinda weird that he got food poisoning. I mean, doesn't that usually happen when there's a flu going around or something?"

     "I guess so," I reply.

     Miss E enters the classroom. "Hi guys, how are you all doing today?" Some kids mutter, 'Good'; others just keep talking to each other.

     Looking at her now, it makes sense that she's not a witch. She's just a friendly, innocent teacher who was the unfortunate victim of some absurd rumor, probably started by a few of the eighth graders to scare us. But she really does seem like she's trying her best to be friendly. And I feel kinda bad that kids are ignoring that. But I think I'll be friendly back from now on.

     Class goes by pleasantly. We start with some silent reading time, then review the eight parts of speech, which comes pretty easily to me. Then we spend the rest of class playing grammar ninja. I wonder why Miss E is making this such a fun class today. Maybe just to boost morale.

     She gives us a few minutes to relax before the bell rings. I take the opportunity to go up to her desk.

     "I just wanted to say thank you for helping me with my essay earlier."

      "Why, you're welcome, Sarah. You're a lovely girl, I'm happy to help you anytime."

     "Thanks, Miss E," I reply, not used to this kind of praise from a teacher.

    "Oh, actually I just got re-married. I must've forgotten to tell the class. You can call me Mrs. N now." The bell rings. She slowly smiles at me. "Bye, Sarah."